Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Some questions about yoga

Sabazios

I d like to ask a few questions, because I ve started doing hatha yoga recently.
For starters I m gonna tell you that I m as inflexible as an wood log. Even though I feel energy from doing it, it feels that I m still doing it wrong. What can I do to increase my flexibility?
Also as I might be doing the poses wrong, the energy isn t going where it should or am I thinking too much?

Sabazios said:
I d like to ask a few questions, because I ve started doing hatha yoga recently.
For starters I m gonna tell you that I m as inflexible as an wood log. Even though I feel energy from doing it, it feels that I m still doing it wrong. What can I do to increase my flexibility?
Also as I might be doing the poses wrong, the energy isn t going where it should or am I thinking too much?

The practice of hatha yoga is what confers flexibility. Flexibility is not the prerequisite to performing hatha yoga, rather it is the result. Don't worry about your current state of flexibility.

Hard to tell if you are doing the poses correctly or not. You are likely overthinking them if you thought you had to be flexible to do them. Looking at the exercises in the guide, each exercise is attempting to stretch the tissues in a part of the body. You should feel an enjoyable stretching sensation, and over time, you will be able to stretch more and more in that direction. The stretching of the tissues is what aids better energy circulation, and I assume an increased local capacity for energy, as well.

Read the descriptions and take a few moments to make sure your limbs are in the right spots. You are likely doing them correctly, however, since you said you can feel the energy. If you have questions about specific exercises, we can try to give pointers.

Sabazios said:

You will not gain flexibility in short period of time in a situation where you have no flexibility. Be persistent and keep going. You will see results in flexibility, eventually.

Keep in mind that doing yoga is not supposed to be straining training. Be gentle on yourself. Mentally and physically.

Just do the poses you can do without pain. When I started doing yoga I was so incredibly inflexible I could barely cross my legs. The most important thing is consistency. Do it every single day without fail and meditate on the energy afterwards. after a few weeks to a month you should start feeling serious energy highs. I suggest finding a youtube video on Hatha yoga for beginners online and following it every day until you are proficient enough to make your own routine.

Just do your best and don't over exert yourself

Flexibility comes with time. You have to do the asanas everyday and with time you’ll gradually become more flexible.

Don’t push yourself too much and don’t go to the point of pain. But if you’ve never done any stretching or yoga before then it’s common to have very little flexibility.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back