Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

A question to fellow translators about RUNES

How have you guys translated/are planning to translate this rune pronunciation page? Especially for a language which has a different alphabet/writing system? Have you guys left the runes as they are given, in the same alphabet they are given in? This doesn't seem like a good idea for a language like mine where the people reading the translations will not likely be familiar with the writing system of the western alphabet the runes are given in (well some might be, some not).

Alchemist what do you think? I made a separate topic because I wanted to ask all the translators for their opinions.

HP. Hoodedcobra666 said:

Henu the Great said:

hailourpeople said:

Kurat said:

Lenore said:

Meteor said:

Shadowcat said:

ValentineCHL said:

NewEra said:

स त न म said:

RYanK said:

TheAwakening1 said:

EnkiUK3 said:
Glesga Scots

FaboanDeAdonai said:
German, Swedish, Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian

Astralnaut said:

Safire666 said:

Satan_is_our_Father666 said:

Lasollor said:

Osiris Silvio said:

r2vven said:
Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegrin - Ex-Yugoslavian

Bipolar Bear said:
Slovak / Czech

Thousahll said:

Lunar Dance 666 said:
German, Dutch (?)

AryaPaimon said:
Brazilian Portuguese

NishaWillow said:

OphidianBlade said:

Way_Seeker666 said:
Afrikaans

promitheusS88 said:

Jax911 said:
Mongolian

Wotanwarrior said:

mercury_wisdom said:

V12-POWER said:

One Wire Phenomenon said:
Afrikaans

Egon said:
Portuguese

ForVery said:
German, Polish, Russian, Romanian

sotem said:

sinatra said:

rereg12 said:

kajo said:

Weassel said:

throwaway88 said:
Ex-Yugoslavia

newbie40 said:
Translations

OwltheD said:
Japanesse

DTone said:

Ara666 said:

Wildfire said:

Larissa666 said:

HellFire666 said:

Eannatum said:

Cfecit said:
Italian, French (?)

Rafhael said:
Portuguese

ShiningOne said:
Hungarian

SeaGoat_666 said:

Odiura465 said:
Spanish (?)

pealbow said:
Japanesse

Donovandal said:

Kiku said:

Ol argedco luciftias said:
Norwegian

Zaqîêl3 said:
English, Spanish

स त न म said:
How have you guys translated/are planning to translate this rune pronunciation page? Especially for a language which has a different alphabet/writing system? Have you guys left the runes as they are given, in the same alphabet they are given in? This doesn't seem like a good idea for a language like mine where the people reading the translations will not likely be familiar with the writing system of the western alphabet the runes are given in (well some might be, some not).

Alchemist what do you think? I made a separate topic because I wanted to ask all the translators for their opinions.

HP. Hoodedcobra666 said:

Personally Id leave the original name of the rune there but then add the pronounciation of the different language behind it.
I am not sure about the pronounciation in the different languages though (germanic icelansic etc). Itd be better for the natives if those were properly translated.

Actually. What do you with names? Perhaps its best to approach it like youd approach a name.

I try to learn some pronunciation rules of said language, then transliterate in my language as literal as possible as according to the audios by HPS Maxine.

I translate the pronunciations, yes. For an example, mantra "SH-AH-M-AH-SH" translated as "Ş-AĞ-M-AĞ-Ş". If I had leave H as it is, people would actually pronounce the letter H as it used in "hat" or "hot". But letter Ğ which exists in Turkish alphabet, corresponds the H in mantra, softens the letter A.

I think it's better to translate. After all, people don't know English and that's why they need translations.

स त न म said:

currently i am working on the jos site, and i have not yet encountered any pages with rune pronunciations, I haven't really thought about it it jet. It can be hard to translate tough because the sounds are completely different, it should be possible but i doubt it will be an easy thing to translate.... especially if your writing system is different.

I do think however that it is important to translate this, most people that will access the sites in a different language will not be able to speak English.

स त न म said:
Is very good you opened the topic as for many members is not going to be easy to translate the pronounciation of the runic vibrations.

Since they are to be vibrated/spelled exactly the same irrespective of ones language, what is different most likely is the way we translate the sounds. There are letters that one can extend, including all vowels and some consonants and consonants that cannot be extended. One can extend LLL (with the tongue behind the upper teeth) or NNN (same position) or MMM (with closed lips) during a vibration, but cannot extend letters like T or C or G. This is why these letters that cannot be extended are instead vibrated as sounds formed of two letters and in most cases the second letter of such sound is H or S (depending on the power word), which both can be extended.

For example in some cases T is vibrated as TSSS or TZZZ, like in Tyr. In my language two sounds are letters on their own, we have Ș for SH (like in the english word `short`), exactly like Turkish, and Ț for TS or TZ as the sound is extremely similar. TZ would be a „bold” version of TS but not too different, in fact in my language Z is spelled as a `bolder` or `thick` S. Observe for example even in English how the Moon square mantra is vibrated:
https://satanisgod.org/www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/Moon_Square.html
MANTRA FOR THE MOON:

AUM ŞRAAM ŞRIM ŞRAUM SAU CHANDRAMASE NAMA

Pronunciation: AHH-UUU-MMM ٠ SH-RR-AH – AH-MM ٠ SH-RR-EE-MM ٠ SH-RR-AH-UU-MM ٠ SAH-UUU ٠ CH-AH-NN-D-RR-AH-MM-AHSAY ٠ NAH-MAH
Is not vibrated as SH because S cannot be extended, but because this is just the way the mantra is written and spelled.

Therefore I think the most important is how to correctly translate the sounds formed of multiple letters in a language since the letters that can be extended during a vibration will most likely remain as they are in English. For example, if I would translate the vibration for TYR in my language, I would translate it as: ȚȚȚȚ-IIII-RRRR because Ț (ȚZ or ȚS, is very similar) in my language represents exactly the sound that Maxine makes when vibrating T. Also Y is like an accentuated I, almost identical.

If if you have in your alphabet letters that represent sounds, like TS/TZ, SH, CH, GH, TH, KH, DS etc. then most likely you would use these to represent the sounds, but if there is no such letter then you would most likely need to combine the two individual letters that form the sound. For example in my language there is no sound for TH, like in Thaum, so for vibrating Thaum I would do: THHH-AAA-UUU-MMM. `TH` will be vibrated as a very short T followed by a long HHHH, short in the sense that I can only spell it but cannot extend it. That's how most sounds are vibrated, the first letter is very short and the second is extended.

The problem is when there are no letters that represents the individual latin letters. For example as I look on the internet on the Hindi alphabet, there is a letter `ठ` that is spelled `tha` but it cannot be used to vibrate THAUM because TH and A are separated, you would need a letter only for TH, or two letters for T and H vibrated together as above in THAUM, and another letter for A. However I don't know how these letters are spelled by the Hindi speakers, same applies for any other non-latin based language.

Thanks for the replies.
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Actually. What do you with names? Perhaps its best to approach it like youd approach a name.

With names I obviously don't translate the names, I just write the names using the alphabet in my language. That's probably what I'll do with the runes too.

Egon said:
I try to learn some pronunciation rules of said language, then transliterate in my language as literal as possible as according to the audios by HPS Maxine.

Yes this seems like the best approach. I just hope I can accurately get the right sound which I write the pronunciation in my language. But some sounds are unique to a language and just don't exist in other languages, I'll have a problem when I run into those.

The Alchemist7 said:

Yea thanks, I get what you're saying. That's what I've been thinking of doing as well just like Egon also said above. But the main problem is some sounds just not existing in my language, even if I combine letters. The THAUM example with hindi you gave above can actually be translated easily as there is another letter for the TH mainly because THAUM has sanskrit origins I think. And hindi is like sanskrit with the same alphabet so that's not a problem.

But some simple sounds might not exist in hindi. For example, there is no way to say 'egg' in hindi. Because there's no quick 'eh' sound in hindi. You can either write is as AYG or AG with A pronounced like in 'quack'. So if even simple words like egg cannot be properly written in Hindi then you can probably imagine the difficulty in depicting the RUNE sounds in hindi.

Anyway, I'll do the best I can. And just make sure that when the website is being made the RUNE pronunciation audios are listed right there with each rune to remove confusion and room for errors.

स त न म said:

HP. Hoodedcobra666 said:

Henu the Great said:

hailourpeople said:

Kurat said:

Lenore said:

Meteor said:

Shadowcat said:

ValentineCHL said:

NewEra said:

स त न म said:

RYanK said:

TheAwakening1 said:

EnkiUK3 said:
Glesga Scots

FaboanDeAdonai said:
German, Swedish, Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian

Astralnaut said:

Safire666 said:

Satan_is_our_Father666 said:

Lasollor said:

Osiris Silvio said:

r2vven said:
Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegrin - Ex-Yugoslavian

Bipolar Bear said:
Slovak / Czech

Thousahll said:

Lunar Dance 666 said:
German, Dutch (?)

AryaPaimon said:
Brazilian Portuguese

NishaWillow said:

OphidianBlade said:

Way_Seeker666 said:
Afrikaans

promitheusS88 said:

Jax911 said:
Mongolian

Wotanwarrior said:

mercury_wisdom said:

V12-POWER said:

One Wire Phenomenon said:
Afrikaans

Egon said:
Portuguese

ForVery said:
German, Polish, Russian, Romanian

sotem said:

sinatra said:

rereg12 said:

kajo said:

Weassel said:

throwaway88 said:
Ex-Yugoslavia

newbie40 said:
Translations

OwltheD said:
Japanesse

DTone said:

Ara666 said:

Wildfire said:

Larissa666 said:

HellFire666 said:

Eannatum said:

Cfecit said:
Italian, French (?)

Rafhael said:
Portuguese

ShiningOne said:
Hungarian

SeaGoat_666 said:

Odiura465 said:
Spanish (?)

pealbow said:
Japanesse

Donovandal said:

Kiku said:

Ol argedco luciftias said:
Norwegian

Zaqîêl3 said:
English, Spanish

Welp, now I know where to start right after my part in death of communism's done over with.

I have check it and its already tralsated in the Greek JoS

https://satanismos.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/%cf%80%cf%81%ce%bf%cf%86%ce%ad%cf%81%ce%bf%ce%bd%cf%84%ce%b1%cf%82-%ce%ba%ce%b1%ce%b9-%cf%88%ce%ad%ce%bb%ce%bd%ce%bf%ce%bd%cf%84%ce%b1%cf%82-%cf%84%ce%bf%cf%85%cf%82-%cf%81%ce%bf%cf%8d%ce%bd%ce%bf/

स त न म said:
Anyway, I'll do the best I can. And just make sure that when the website is being made the RUNE pronunciation audios are listed right there with each rune to remove confusion and room for errors.
Yes maybe whenever there are no letters to represent the correct sounds you can add notes directing the readers to follow the mp3 pronouncinations closely.

स त न म said:
How have you guys translated/are planning to translate this rune pronunciation page?

I'd do it with the English alphabet. Swahili alphabet looks the same as English alphabet no need to translate unless instructed only a e i o u sound different and the letters q and x aren't in Swahili. Most people know English and can teach it to those who struggle and it's easier to research on than vice versa. Unless you think differently.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back