Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Runes Representing Elements?

Fuchs

20220512-231534.jpg

I saw this as a signature picture from a member
SonOfFreya said:

Are there Runes that are directly tied/equal/resembel the elements (I know there are fire, water, etc runes), but not if one rune is the most fire, water etc...? (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Ether)

Kenaz #6 for fire could be right
KaunRune.gif
:

"KENAZ (Torch)" Runic Kabalah

Fehu #1 for ether could fit
FaRune2.gif
:

"This is the sending rune used in magick" Runic Kabalah

but Jera #12
ArRune.gif
for earth does not fit it would be rather Berkano
BjorkRune.gif
:

"Berkano is the earth that receives it" Runic Kabalah

Lögr #21 being water could be right
LogrRune.gif
:

"Assists in the awareness of energies and enhances
one’s sensitivity. " Runic Kabalah

So we still miss a rune for air. Maybe Mannaz
MadhRune.gif

Also what is this jewish star like rune a mix off two runes together (Gebo + Isa) or something else?

Fuchs said:

Sometimes the runes will represent one aspect of an element or planet, not the entirety of that element. Kenaz, for example, seems related to the creative aspect of Mars. Yet, it also seems related to the intellectual aspects of Sagittarius/Jupiter.

Thurisaz seems to be the combative aspect of Mars, but this same "raw power" can be redirected as the fuel for healing or other positives.

Jera is very much earth related, despite including an aspect of time/movement.
Berkano is related to motherly energy, therefore it is like Cancer. Yet, it seems more like a mother's womb than just "pure water", hence why you can describe it as the "earth" which receives something. In this case, the womb represents a structure that receives, then protects, and nourishes a seed.

Although we described some aspects of Mars above, Fehu also seems related to Aries in some ways, due to being the 1st rune and having characteristics of the raw wealth/fertility which allows everything else to grow. It seems like the creative aspect that characterizes the springtime and growth of plants/animals.

While it is useful to link the runes to other energy types for the purpose of understanding them, also recognize the unique properties of each rune, so you don't unintentionally limit your idea of them.

Let us not forget about Perthro, which allows one to gain knowledge of the runes. Being a rune of divination, I suspect someone could use it to learn about many different energy types, not just the runes. At the same time, we don't need to have an absolutely perfect understanding of each rune to be able to apply it, but we should be mindful of our own intellect and knowledge of all things.

What about runes being magnetic or electric? In a way it ties into elements too since fire and air are electric and earth and water magnetic. Does anyone have any insights into this?

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back