Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

I would need an alternate asana

Ardgion

Recently, I have been trying to do yoga daily and I found out that it is really difficult for me to do the 11th asana from hatha yoga, the tripod or headstand, so I always left it out.

I was just wondering if there is any any alternative asana I could replace it for.

Also when I'm done with yoga, is it really important to relax and focus on energies or is it even better that I do a full AoP right after yoga as energies are really high then.
Many thanks

Ardgion said:
Recently, I have been trying to do yoga daily and I found out that it is really difficult for me to do the 11th asana from hatha yoga, the tripod or headstand, so I always left it out.

I was just wondering if there is any any alternative asana I could replace it for.

Also when I'm done with yoga, is it really important to relax and focus on energies or is it even better that I do a full AoP right after yoga as energies are really high then.
Many thanks
You can leave the inverted asanas completely out if you can not perform them.

I can't right off top of my head recommend any alternative asanas, but you could check out this resource if you can find something: https://www.yogapedia.com/yoga-poses

It is very important to relax in savasana (corpse pose) after yoga session. The buzz will not vanish in 10-15 minutes that you spend like that, and you can then move on to your aop or whatever else you want to do.

Henu the Great said:
Ardgion said:

Many thanks

I can't right off top of my head recommend any alternative asanas, but you could check out this resource if you can find something: https://www.yogapedia.com/yoga-poses

It is very important to relax in savasana (corpse pose) after yoga session. The buzz will not vanish in 10-15 minutes that you spend like that, and you can then move on to your aop or whatever else you want to do.

Personally the energy buzz to me feels a bit less at the end of the rest but you can do affirmations in that time.

Also I dont like tripod or headstand because of spinal issues.. and I cannot get myself up into a handstand so I usually swap it out with downward facing dog.

It doesnt have the same feel though.

If you can do a handstand or something similar, then go for it.

There are easier inversion asanas you can begin with like downward facing dog and doing a headstand by kicking yourself against a wall. The shoulderstand with padding is usually easy for most. With yoga it’s wise to build up to things. If you can’t do something now, there’s always easier alternatives and as you advance with those you can do the harder variations that usually have more benefit. Don’t worry about rushing. This is your journey so take the time you need. But make sure you’re always safely pushing yourself. VERY SAFLEY. Listen to your body. But you don’t want to avoid inverted asanas all together unless you have a serious health condition where this could be dangerous.

Eric13 said:
There are easier inversion asanas you can begin with like downward facing dog and doing a headstand by kicking yourself against a wall. The shoulderstand with padding is usually easy for most. With yoga it’s wise to build up to things. If you can’t do something now, there’s always easier alternatives and as you advance with those you can do the harder variations that usually have more benefit. Don’t worry about rushing. This is your journey so take the time you need. But make sure you’re always safely pushing yourself. VERY SAFLEY. Listen to your body. But you don’t want to avoid inverted asanas all together unless you have a serious health condition where this could be dangerous.
Yes, it did progress to headstand from doing it against a wall. Now I'm mastering the basic headstand, and then I will move onto handstand. Not rushing is good advice. Yoga is about the journey anyway so taking time to learn and experiment new things is one aspect of it.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:
Ardgion said:

Many thanks

Personally the energy buzz to me feels a bit less at the end of the rest but you can do affirmations in that time.

Also I dont like tripod or headstand because of spinal issues.. and I cannot get myself up into a handstand so I usually swap it out with downward facing dog.

Handstand is much more powerful than what you are doing... I am doing the same because my leg is still recovering, and the energy buzz is weaker. =\

NinRick said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:

Handstand is much more powerful than what you are doing... I am doing the same because my leg is still recovering, and the energy buzz is weaker. =\
However it's better than nothing when there are limiting factors or one is still new to yoga.

Honestly, I wouldn't suggest a headstand to a beginner, the chances of doing it incorrectly and hurting your neck are too high. Handstands are better as you have no pressure on the neck.
Find a good yoga teacher to teach you the asanas.

Appreciate the help.
I also thought of replacing some other poses to something new if that is okay to do?
Like I thought of replacing the 1st 3 poses with something different and I remember that someone gave me the link for the site which they follow the yoga routine from, I cannot remember who it was and I sadly forgot to bookmark it :/

Henu the Great said:
NinRick said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

However it's better than nothing when there are limiting factors or one is still new to yoga.

My issue is that I cannot kick myself up into a handstand. Im too inflexible for that unfortunately. I dont have walls or a closed door in a convenient place that I could walk up against either, thats also been an issue.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:
NinRick said:

My issue is that I cannot kick myself up into a handstand. Im too inflexible for that unfortunately. I dont have walls or a closed door in a convenient place that I could walk up against either, thats also been an issue.
I would not recommend handstand if you have not mastered previous poses, such as tripod and headstand first.

Are you sure it's inflexibility and instead not enough expierence with inverse asanas? Or maybe it's the same thing. :D

If there is a doorway (without a door, as you said no doors) where you live you could make a compromise and do it against the side of the doorway. Far from ideal, but if there ain't no other options... How about moving furniture, could that work?

Henu the Great said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:

I would not recommend handstand if you have not mastered previous poses, such as tripod and headstand first.

Are you sure it's inflexibility and instead not enough expierence with inverse asanas? Or maybe it's the same thing. :D

If there is a doorway (without a door, as you said no doors) where you live you could make a compromise and do it against the side of the doorway. Far from ideal, but if there ain't no other options... How about moving furniture, could that work?

I am positive it is inflexibility.
When I watch people on youtube, even beginners, they seem to be able to do it but the inflexibility is so that I need to lose contact with the ground way earlier. I cant build up enough speed.
The space is cramped enough as it is. I have had to move one of the things sideways to the wall so most is facing into the room so that I could place a small bookcase because everything would have been on the floor everywhere.
It sucks having parents that seem to have no concern for space in their daughters bedroom, esp if they cant even throw shit out.
Because most of the walls have been taken up by their books. Not even my own stuff.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

When I watch people on youtube, even beginners, they seem to be able to do it but the inflexibility is so that I need to lose contact with the ground way earlier. I cant build up enough speed.
The space is cramped enough as it is. I have had to move one of the things sideways to the wall so most is facing into the room so that I could place a small bookcase because everything would have been on the floor everywhere.
It sucks having parents that seem to have no concern for space in their daughters bedroom, esp if they cant even throw shit out.
Because most of the walls have been taken up by their books. Not even my own stuff.
Where is this inflexibility located you refer to? I never thought it could be about that. When I begun my journey of yoga seriously, last year, I was barely able to kick myself up to a wall. Because I had no idea how to do this. I had to begin by doing tripod, and progress from there by getting used to the inverse position. I had done downward facing dog quite many times, but it does not feel the same at all since it lacks the balancing aspect. Now I don't want a wall, lol. It would just feel weird. But for handstand, just to get the hang of it, it would be best to use wall for a while. If you haven't done inverse poses which require you to kick yourself up before doing handstand then I think that is the main reason. Because that way you can actually know how much force you need to apply and how to balance properly.

Anyway, your living situation seems quite problematic. Hope you can get to your own place and then progress as a yogi! Or maybe find a tree in some quiet place and try it there...

Henu the Great said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Henu the Great said:

Where is this inflexibility located you refer to? I never thought it could be about that. When I begun my journey of yoga seriously, last year, I was barely able to kick myself up to a wall. Because I had no idea how to do this. I had to begin by doing tripod, and progress from there by getting used to the inverse position. I had done downward facing dog quite many times, but it does not feel the same at all since it lacks the balancing aspect. Now I don't want a wall, lol. It would just feel weird. But for handstand, just to get the hang of it, it would be best to use wall for a while. If you haven't done inverse poses which require you to kick yourself up before doing handstand then I think that is the main reason. Because that way you can actually know how much force you need to apply and how to balance properly.

Anyway, your living situation seems quite problematic. Hope you can get to your own place and then progress as a yogi! Or maybe find a tree in some quiet place and try it there...

It most likely has to do with my lower back. Ive had a stiff lower back for quite some time, I couldnt even sit up on a 90 degree angle with legs stretched straight in front of me when I just started yoga.
I can now though.

Its like trying to jump without being able to finish the whole motion.

Ive done headstand in the past but, Ive had some spinal issues, places that hurt so I got it checked and the results were to the point that it just wouldnt be safe for me to do a headstand or tripod.
I think in regards to that, the "suggestion" to master tripod and headstand, though well meant, are ill fitting.
There are also other exercises that will strengthen the muscles needed, and other prep work or work that would help you achieve a strong, straight, non-banana like handstand.
They're usually found if you look at calisthenics, and one of the exercises mentioned is the "hollow body". Which seems to also be needed for effective pullups.

I hope you understand where I am coming from, and that my comment might have shed some new light.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
It most likely has to do with my lower back. Ive had a stiff lower back for quite some time, I couldnt even sit up on a 90 degree angle with legs stretched straight in front of me when I just started yoga.
I can now though.

Ive done headstand in the past but, Ive had some spinal issues, places that hurt so I got it checked and the results were to the point that it just wouldnt be safe for me to do a headstand or tripod.
I think in regards to that, the "suggestion" to master tripod and headstand, though well meant, are ill fitting.
There are also other exercises that will strengthen the muscles needed, and other prep work or work that would help you achieve a strong, straight, non-banana like handstand.
They're usually found if you look at calisthenics, and one of the exercises mentioned is the "hollow body". Which seems to also be needed for effective pullups.

I hope you understand where I am coming from, and that my comment might have shed some new light.
I also have lower back flexibility issues, but I'm actively working on it. In past I could not also sit up on the floor in 90 degree angle without strong effort. Have you tried head to knee pose? It is very effective for lower back. https://www.yogapedia.com/yoga-poses/head-to-knee-pose-a/11/11229

That hollow body seems like pretty good core workout. Many KY kriyas work on core as well.

Henu the Great said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
I can now though.

I also have lower back flexibility issues, but I'm actively working on it. In past I could not also sit up on the floor in 90 degree angle without strong effort. Have you tried head to knee pose? It is very effective for lower back. https://www.yogapedia.com/yoga-poses/head-to-knee-pose-a/11/11229

That hollow body seems like pretty good core workout. Many KY kriyas work on core as well.

Actually the other strange issue Ive been having is that when I move one leg into a pose it usually goes pretty good. Its just that when the other leg has to take the same pose that Im then somehow not able to do it.. or do it as well.
Ye the hollow body exercise is MUCH harder than you think. I hit my limit so soon.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Actually the other strange issue Ive been having is that when I move one leg into a pose it usually goes pretty good. Its just that when the other leg has to take the same pose that Im then somehow not able to do it.. or do it as well.
Ye the hollow body exercise is MUCH harder than you think. I hit my limit so soon.
Are you talking about the head to knee, or handstand?

In any case it would indicate an imbalance in flexibility. More focus on the tigther side is required to open it. By consitently working on it you can overcome it.

I know how hard that is, because I've done it and I have also done other similiar exercises. You said you have core issues so it makes sense to hit limit easily. Only hard work will fix these issues. Good luck, and don't give up. :)

Henu the Great said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Are you talking about the head to knee, or handstand?

In any case it would indicate an imbalance in flexibility. More focus on the tigther side is required to open it. By consitently working on it you can overcome it.

I know how hard that is, because I've done it and I have also done other similiar exercises. You said you have core issues so it makes sense to hit limit easily. Only hard work will fix these issues. Good luck, and don't give up. :)

I was talking about the head to knee part :) .

Lunar Dance 666 said:
I was talking about the head to knee part :) .
Yeah, I have same kind of thing with tightness in left hip. It just means more focus on that side until it is balanced.

Work, work, work... :)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back