Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

When you can't create anything yourself

StraitShot47

Just defile, plagiarize and put your social spin on it. These idiots could never make any works of art or rhythmically enticing sentences from the heart.

If your first "modern retelling" doesn't catch, use the proto trademark then print that cash!

You will stan this modern retelling of ‘Beowulf’

One way Headley connects the poem with modern readers is through language, mixing in some contemporary words into an Old English text. "Beowulf" famously opens with a storyteller wanting to snap a crowd to attention. Previously, it's been "Hark!" or "So!" Headley, instead, opts for "Bro!," a word that would resonate more with readers today.

Headley, whose 2018 novel "The Mere Wife" is itself a modern "Beowulf" retelling, said she's always been interested in how mythology and folklore have been "building blocks" for society. With her version of "Beowulf," she said, she wanted to make the Old English story feel more intimate, "to make it feel like you could be watching the news and watching the story and having your own suspicions about whether or not this is a good story."

Headley said in her translation, there are still all the familiar heroics, humor, bravery and bravado of "Beowulf," in addition to a theme of mourning,not just for individual loss, but a "mourning for societies that don't function correctly, that don't have equality, that don't have safety for everyone. I think that's something that we can really apply to our contemporary society."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/arts/you-will-stan-this-modern-retelling-of-beowulf

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back