Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Hitler Instrument Cluster

ShadowTheRaven said:
Looks like the gauge cluster of a 2003 Volkswagen Golf. Very fitting.

Haha yeah, reminds me of my old 2002 Jetta

Pisces said:

Funny you should say. When my car broke down last February and I was getting set to buy a new one, I was looking at this 2014 Volkswagen Jetta with a 6 speed manual in it. Sadly, it sold before I could get to it.

ShadowTheRaven said:
Pisces said:

Funny you should say. When my car broke down last February and I was getting set to buy a new one, I was looking at this 2014 Volkswagen Jetta with a 6 speed manual in it. Sadly, it sold before I could get to it.

Wow haha add TDI to it and that’s what I’m driving now

Pisces said:

I wasn't getting a diesel. I live in a climate where it gets as cold as -5 degrees Fahrenheit so no thank you. All I wanted was a car with a manual transmission, didn't care what it was.

The Jetta was just the first car I wanted to look at. My family was reluctant to travel 50 miles so I could look at a BMW 3 Series with All Wheel Drive, and kept telling me to buy a Jeep from some shyster used car dealership, and I was pretty dead set on getting a manual. The only manual they had was a 2010 Mini Cooper and being 6'2"....I couldn't fit.

So then I looked at a few other cars, a Subaru Impreza, a Dodge Dart, a Chevy Suburban.

I ended up landing on a 2011 Ford Focus with a 5-speed manual. And you know what? I'm glad I bought it, because gas prices are going up again and I get 35 to the gallon with it (6.72L/100km). and it only costs me $25 to fill it up from Empty. You know how much it would've cost me to fill up the Jeep Grand Cherokee they wanted me to buy? At least $50, with half the gas mileage. Checked the Carfax, only one owner, had 100,000 miles, and it was $5,000 simply because it was a manual transmission car, nobody wants MTs nowadays except mechanics and enthusiasts (I'm both).

I would've bought the Subaru Impreza had it been a WRX....because that's my dream car. I hope to own one of those someday. Who wouldn't want the car from Baby Driver?

2006_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_1590507865801fb71c976a628c3IMG_0030.jpg

One of these days....

ShadowTheRaven said:
Pisces said:

I wasn't getting a diesel. I live in a climate where it gets as cold as -5 degrees Fahrenheit so no thank you. All I wanted was a car with a manual transmission, didn't care what it was.

The Jetta was just the first car I wanted to look at. My family was reluctant to travel 50 miles so I could look at a BMW 3 Series with All Wheel Drive, and kept telling me to buy a Jeep from some shyster used car dealership, and I was pretty dead set on getting a manual. The only manual they had was a 2010 Mini Cooper and being 6'2"....I couldn't fit.

So then I looked at a few other cars, a Subaru Impreza, a Dodge Dart, a Chevy Suburban.

I ended up landing on a 2011 Ford Focus with a 5-speed manual. And you know what? I'm glad I bought it, because gas prices are going up again and I get 35 to the gallon with it (6.72L/100km). and it only costs me $25 to fill it up from Empty. You know how much it would've cost me to fill up the Jeep Grand Cherokee they wanted me to buy? At least $50, with half the gas mileage. Checked the Carfax, only one owner, had 100,000 miles, and it was $5,000 simply because it was a manual transmission car, nobody wants MTs nowadays except mechanics and enthusiasts (I'm both).

I would've bought the Subaru Impreza had it been a WRX....because that's my dream car. I hope to own one of those someday. Who wouldn't want the car from Baby Driver?

2006_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_1590507865801fb71c976a628c3IMG_0030.jpg

One of these days....

It gets pretty cold where I live, diesel probably wasn’t the smartest but I managed last winter.

I had an automatic in between the 2 Jettas(first one was manual as well) and I will never go back to automatic. I love the control you have with a manual, automatic just feels limited.

That’s a beautiful car, hope you get your hands on one someday! :)

Pisces said:
It gets pretty cold where I live, diesel probably wasn’t the smartest but I managed last winter.

I had an automatic in between the 2 Jettas(first one was manual as well) and I will never go back to automatic. I love the control you have with a manual, automatic just feels limited.

I got the manual for that same reason! A few years ago, I took a job as a lot attendant at a Subaru dealership. I hadn't driven a manual car in several years, so a mechanic brought around his brand new 2017 Subaru WRX STI with a 6-speed manual only and let me drive it around for an hour. Fell in love with the car immediately afterwards and wanted one for myself ever since.

And yes, I love the feeling of being more involved with how the car works than just shifting into D and pressing the "go" pedal.

ShadowTheRaven said:
I got the manual for that same reason! A few years ago, I took a job as a lot attendant at a Subaru dealership. I hadn't driven a manual car in several years, so a mechanic brought around his brand new 2017 Subaru WRX STI with a 6-speed manual only and let me drive it around for an hour. Fell in love with the car immediately afterwards and wanted one for myself ever since.

And yes, I love the feeling of being more involved with how the car works than just shifting into D and pressing the "go" pedal.

Agreed. :)

ShadowTheRaven said:
Pisces said:

Tell me about it, automatics suck for the most part

The only auto boxes I have aporeciated are the double clutch ones, from Mercedes. Solely because they shift instantly and they don’t use a torque converter

But nothing beats a manual though, we have a truck with those Eaton fuller boxes and there’s nothing as satisfying as driving all day without touching the clutch at all

It’s all going to go back to manuals and harder to drive cars/vehicles at some point though.

Too much idiots on the street, this wouldn’t be the case if people had a degree of knowledge about what the heck they’re doing the moment they turn the key

V12-POWER said:

The only auto boxes I have aporeciated are the double clutch ones, from Mercedes. Solely because they shift instantly and they don’t use a torque converter

But nothing beats a manual though, we have a truck with those Eaton fuller boxes and there’s nothing as satisfying as driving all day without touching the clutch at all

It’s all going to go back to manuals and harder to drive cars/vehicles at some point though.

Too much idiots on the street, this wouldn’t be the case if people had a degree of knowledge about what the heck they’re doing the moment they turn the key

Eaton Fuller? Do you drive a Semi? I was thinking of getting my CDL on an 18-speed, that is, if whatever company I end up working for doesn't give me an automatic Freightliner Cascadia. Those trucks are nice, but I don't wanna just drive something, I want to operate it.

Personally if I were going to get a Dual-Clutch transmission I'd get a Volkswagen Golf R. However, on Volkswagens and any car with a Tiptronic transmission, be aware that those transmissions can and will fail if you do a lot of hard and spirited driving like I do.

As I told Pisces, I'm hoping on getting a Subaru WRX STI....ugh, but it's $40,000. Pretty affordable for a sports car, but at the same time you're dealing with a Turbocharged Flat-4 engine that's known for head gasket issues, and the mechanics at that Subaru dealership I worked for said I'd be better off getting a BMW. Then I told them "You know what BMW stands for? Bring My Wallet." they said "Exactly"

However, I'm open to getting an old BMW 3 Series to use as a drift car. Drifting is a lot of fun, but super illegal so find a racetrack and do it there.

Also since we're talking Manual vs Automatic transmissions:

Do NOT get a CVT Transmission!!!

If you don't know what that is, it's basically two pulleys with a belt. How it works is as you pick up speed, there's this pulley that increases the diameter of the belt as you go. It's designed for fuel efficiency in mind, and only has one gear, two gears if you count reverse. Recently, car manufacturers like Subaru and Toyota have programmed fake shift points to make it feel like the car's shifting, it's not. It's simply adjusting the diameter of the pulley.

Nissan, Toyota, and Subaru almost exclusively use CVTs in their cars (Except the Toyota Corolla, Subaru BRZ, Subaru WRX STI, Subaru Crosstrek, Subaru Forester, and Subaru Outback with the 6-speeds in them). These are known to break easily every 80,000 miles or so costing you thousands to fix, and no, you can't just replace one component and then rebuild the transmission yourself, you have to replace the whole thing.

In fact, they're so bad, that Nissan had to extend the warranty on their Altimas several times, because their CVTs kept blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TNtL2Q4fA&ab_channel=StephenTorti
If you floor it, the RPMs just rise to near-redline, no shifting. Here's an example of a CVT transmission in action in a 2011 Subaru Legacy, first in Drive, then in Manual Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHzFiWVr1c

That just limits the car so much and so much potential is lost in a transmission so simplistic, yet so dull.

Don't get a CVT. If you can't drive stick, learn. If you lived close to me, I'd teach you in my Focus. Clutches for those are cheap.

V12-POWER said:

I’ve always said that a drivers test should be in manual. I think learning to drive stick makes you actually focus more.

V12-POWER said:

It's kinda scary how many people on the road seem to fit this description lol, really makes me wonder how so many of them even managed to pass their driving tests.

I've driven a car from the 1950's with a manual transmission before, it's crazy how easy most modern cars are to drive in comparison. I want one of these lazy types who can't drive anything other than a modern automatic, to have a go trying drive something with all-wheel unassisted drum brakes and a non-synchromesh manual transmission.

ShadowTheRaven said:
V12-POWER said:

Eaton Fuller? Do you drive a Semi? I was thinking of getting my CDL on an 18-speed, that is, if whatever company I end up working for doesn't give me an automatic Freightliner Cascadia. Those trucks are nice, but I don't wanna just drive something, I want to operate it.

Personally if I were going to get a Dual-Clutch transmission I'd get a Volkswagen Golf R. However, on Volkswagens and any car with a Tiptronic transmission, be aware that those transmissions can and will fail if you do a lot of hard and spirited driving like I do.

As I told Pisces, I'm hoping on getting a Subaru WRX STI....ugh, but it's $40,000. Pretty affordable for a sports car, but at the same time you're dealing with a Turbocharged Flat-4 engine that's known for head gasket issues, and the mechanics at that Subaru dealership I worked for said I'd be better off getting a BMW. Then I told them "You know what BMW stands for? Bring My Wallet." they said "Exactly"

However, I'm open to getting an old BMW 3 Series to use as a drift car. Drifting is a lot of fun, but super illegal so find a racetrack and do it there.

Yeah that one is a semi hahaha

The thing with automatic trucks/semis is that the gearbox is basically a manual on the inside the only difference being is that it’s automated so the gearshifts are done by a lot of electrovalves or however they’re called in English

I don’t know about freightliners, but scanias/volvos and most Chinese trucks fail to climb steep grades when using the auto mode as they don’t engage the lowest gears, probably to avoid destroying the drivetrain lol, but you see, an automatic is just a useless gimmick

and well for my speed machines I have a kart with a iame sudam engine, thing packs a punch, if I were you I would consider getting one as long as there is a track nearby they’re not really that expensive considering the amount of fun it is

It all becomes addicting quickly though lol, you will be longing to hear the scream of those 2 stroke engines all day and the unmistakable smell of gas and oil will always pull you back to the track

Pisces said:
I’ve always said that a drivers test should be in manual. I think learning to drive stick makes you actually focus more.

And if you're heading to Europe as an American, you are always the butt of the joke.

"Oh he's stalling the car, he must be American. Haha. Americans can't drive for shit!"

Hvítr Ormr said:
It's kinda scary how many people on the road seem to fit this description lol, really makes me wonder how so many of them even managed to pass their driving tests.

I've driven a car from the 1950's with a manual transmission before, it's crazy how easy most modern cars are to drive in comparison. I want one of these lazy types who can't drive anything other than a modern automatic, to have a go trying drive something with all-wheel unassisted drum brakes and a non-synchromesh manual transmission.

Did it have a floor shifter, or was it one of those "Three-on-the-Tree transmissions" with a column shifter? I've never driven a Three on the Tree before, I'd love to try it sometime.

The problem with modern manual transmission cars, like in my Focus for example, is rev hang. When you're shifting gears, it takes forever for the revs to drop, and in many cars it can be turned off but you'd risk failing your emissions test if you do. They say it's an emissions thing, but I know it's utter bollocks simply because rev hang has nothing to do with emissions, it has to do with the throttle body. Modern cars, regardless of transmission have an electronic throttle body as opposed to mechanical throttle bodies, and your throttle position becomes a suggestion rather than a command. Once my car warms up, the rev hang disappears, but it's still annoying as all hell.

V12-POWER said:
Yeah that one is a semi hahaha

The thing with automatic trucks/semis is that the gearbox is basically a manual on the inside the only difference being is that it’s automated so the gearshifts are done by a lot of electrovalves or however they’re called in English

I don’t know about freightliners, but scanias/volvos and most Chinese trucks fail to climb steep grades when using the auto mode as they don’t engage the lowest gears, probably to avoid destroying the drivetrain lol, but you see, an automatic is just a useless gimmick

and well for my speed machines I have a kart with a iame sudam engine, thing packs a punch, if I were you I would consider getting one as long as there is a track nearby they’re not really that expensive considering the amount of fun it is

It all becomes addicting quickly though lol, you will be longing to hear the scream of those 2 stroke engines all day and the unmistakable smell of gas and oil will always pull you back to the track

Ahh, you must be European or something because we don't have Scania trucks. We have Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, International, Kenworth, and Izusu.

This is a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia:
img.axd

sddefault.jpg

This is likely what you'd be getting if you signed up with a company here in the United States.

V12-POWER said:

See, I'm not much of a Kart driver. I'm a drifter.

I have Steam, and I use Assetto Corsa to practice my drifting. Perhaps later I'll record one of my runs, and post it here on this thread.

I brought out the car fanatics it seems.

That's fine.

Yah, definitely manual trans for best but I settled for an automatic because it's less work.

Just got the tranny flushed @ $164.

Last's 40k though so good with me.

I wish I could say it is a Ferrari.

Ah, maybe someday.

Get a used one.

They say that old Dodge Vipers are the best buy right now though.

I mean...if you want a sports car.

of the true light said:
I brought out the car fanatics it seems.

That's fine.

Yah, definitely manual trans for best but I settled for an automatic because it's less work.

Just got the tranny flushed @ $164.

Last's 40k though so good with me.

I wish I could say it is a Ferrari.

Ah, maybe someday.

Get a used one.

They say that old Dodge Vipers are the best buy right now though.

I mean...if you want a sports car.

Why would I buy an overpriced piece of Italian shit? I don't mean to dump on Italian cars, but if Ferrari is anything like Fiat (aka "Fix It Again Tony") I'd be paying more for maintenance than I am for the actual cars. Same goes for the Germans, the BMWs, Audis, Mercedes....More like German Overengineering if you ask me. Volkswagen, however, is good. I'd get a Golf with a VR6 in it.

It'd be nice to have a Dodge Viper, but again, it's more trouble than it's worth. If I were to get a muscle car, I'd get a Camaro or a Mustang, but I think I'm better suited for the tuners. Ford Focus RS, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Evo, those all-wheel drive rally cars with 300 or more horsepower.

A Civic Si or Type R would also be my style, however, not the newer ones. I'm talking about the JDM ones, the EG6. If I were to get an American Civic, I'd get the 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si so I can tackle mountain passes, hit the gas, and make VTEC kick in.....yo.

Now of course, you can't rope me into a conversation about cars without mentioning the Holy Grail of JDM:

51ef53d5e5b1591a37c28bf71bb3373c.jpg

Thissss....is a 1985 Toyota AE86, the Hachiroku, the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, the Toyota Corolla GTS. This is the car from Initial D. It's slow as balls, but damn if it isn't one of the best drift cars in automotive history. Despite putting out a measly 126hp from its 4AGE Engine, this is a car that has tackled mountain passes across the world, let alone Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GeBRZ-8tMc

For me to purchase, import, and properly register this thing, it would cost me over $23,000 (2,392,770 Yen)

ShadowTheRaven said:
Did it have a floor shifter, or was it one of those "Three-on-the-Tree transmissions" with a column shifter? I've never driven a Three on the Tree before, I'd love to try it sometime.

The problem with modern manual transmission cars, like in my Focus for example, is rev hang. When you're shifting gears, it takes forever for the revs to drop, and in many cars it can be turned off but you'd risk failing your emissions test if you do. They say it's an emissions thing, but I know it's utter bollocks simply because rev hang has nothing to do with emissions, it has to do with the throttle body. Modern cars, regardless of transmission have an electronic throttle body as opposed to mechanical throttle bodies, and your throttle position becomes a suggestion rather than a command. Once my car warms up, the rev hang disappears, but it's still annoying as all hell.

It's a column shift but a four speed gearbox, so a "four-on-the-tree" if you like lol. I've seen those three on the tree transmissions but I've never driven one myself though, you normally see them on older 6 cylinder Chevy and GMC trucks, right?

Yes I know what you mean about modern cars having electronic throttle body's with rev hang and all that, I never liked it much either. Just another piece of electronics that can go wrong. It's all fly-by-wire too, right? As in there's no actually physical connection between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. I'd much rather just have a cable or some kind of physical linkage attached to the pedal like things used to be, what was so wrong with that anyway?

Hvítr Ormr said:
ShadowTheRaven said:

It's a column shift but a four speed gearbox, so a "four-on-the-tree" if you like lol. I've seen those three on the tree transmissions but I've never driven one myself though, you normally see them on older 6 cylinder Chevy and GMC trucks, right?

Yes I know what you mean about modern cars having electronic throttle body's with rev hang and all that, I never liked it much either. Just another piece of electronics that can go wrong. It's all fly-by-wire too, right? As in there's no actually physical connection between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. I'd much rather just have a cable or some kind of physical linkage attached to the pedal like things used to be, what was so wrong with that anyway?

there’s nothing wrong with drive by wire itself, it’s the way it’s tuned from the factory, rev hang and the apparent laziness modern engines have can be removed with a ecu remap

Electronic engine controls are just so much better, it’s just that they make it so crappy from factory and that they make it so hard to modify that everyone ends up hating electronics

V12-POWER said:
there’s nothing wrong with drive by wire itself, it’s the way it’s tuned from the factory, rev hang and the apparent laziness modern engines have can be removed with a ecu remap

Electronic engine controls are just so much better, it’s just that they make it so crappy from factory and that they make it so hard to modify that everyone ends up hating electronics

Well yeah, you can always tune it out, but wouldn't that cause you to fail emissions? I have to get my car inspected soon, so perhaps I'll do that after the fact.

It doesn't rev hang when the engine's fully warmed up, but the rev hang itself kinda forces the transmission to power shift and that's bad for your clutch. So in order to prevent that I have to wait a good 15 minutes for my car to warm up before I can drive it, and that's just asinine.

ShadowTheRaven said:
Why would I buy an overpriced piece of Italian shit? I don't mean to dump on Italian cars, but if Ferrari is anything like Fiat (aka "Fix It Again Tony") I'd be paying more for maintenance than I am for the actual cars. Same goes for the Germans, the BMWs, Audis, Mercedes....More like German Overengineering if you ask me. Volkswagen, however, is good. I'd get a Golf with a VR6 in it.

It'd be nice to have a Dodge Viper, but again, it's more trouble than it's worth. If I were to get a muscle car, I'd get a Camaro or a Mustang, but I think I'm better suited for the tuners. Ford Focus RS, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Evo, those all-wheel drive rally cars with 300 or more horsepower.

A Civic Si or Type R would also be my style, however, not the newer ones. I'm talking about the JDM ones, the EG6. If I were to get an American Civic, I'd get the 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si so I can tackle mountain passes, hit the gas, and make VTEC kick in.....yo.

Now of course, you can't rope me into a conversation about cars without mentioning the Holy Grail of JDM:

51ef53d5e5b1591a37c28bf71bb3373c.jpg

Thissss....is a 1985 Toyota AE86, the Hachiroku, the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, the Toyota Corolla GTS. This is the car from Initial D. It's slow as balls, but damn if it isn't one of the best drift cars in automotive history. Despite putting out a measly 126hp from its 4AGE Engine, this is a car that has tackled mountain passes across the world, let alone Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GeBRZ-8tMc

For me to purchase, import, and properly register this thing, it would cost me over $23,000 (2,392,770 Yen)
I dunno Ferrari's just look so cool.

I like Porsche 911 Turbo's a-lot also.

I was just thinking if I had money to pay for the operating costs too.

Oh yes, anything Toyota is great.

Corolla is one of the best cars ever produced!

Damn things will go like 500,000 + miles before it's no good anymore but only if you take care of it.

ShadowTheRaven said:
See, I'm not much of a Kart driver. I'm a drifter.

I have Steam, and I use Assetto Corsa to practice my drifting. Perhaps later I'll record one of my runs, and post it here on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjD1pQsiT8U

Here's one of those runs.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back