Question on not blinking and more

For those who wish to establish a relationship with Satan.

Topics of discussion include: Demons, Magick, Satanic Witchcraft and much more!

http://www.joyofsatan.com / http://www.joyofsatan.org
Shael
Posts: 796

Question on not blinking and more

Postby Shael » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 am

Hey everyone.

I have a fairly strange question this time. So I'm studying Musashis Book of Five Rings at the moment and I'm still de-corrupting it. Most of the corruptions are fairly easy to spot, but there is a certain passage that I'm not sure about:
"Do not wrinkle your forehead, but make a furrow between your eyebrows. Keep your gaze steady and try not to blink."

This passage is from the article on physical bearing, and according to the book, this physical bearing should be left unchanged in both combat and everyday life.

So with all that in mind, the first obvious thought I got was that the furrow between the eyebrows and the not-blinking are corruptions because doing this from morning to evening everyday would likely be unhealthy. However, I want to be absolutely sure that I'm not just ignorantly removing any knowledge here.
That's why I'd like to ask for your guys' opinions on this. Is it possible to healthily blink less (like maybe only once a minute for a start), and to maintain a furrow between the eyebrows?

I'm looking forward to your opinions. :)
'Do not do anything useless.'
-Miyamoto Musashi

40 DAY MEDITATION PROGRAM BY HP HC
[Updated April 2019]

http://tinyurl.com/y3vh4tvu

MerKaBa PDF
http://tinyurl.com/y45fjl89

Hail Satan Forever!

User avatar
Zygisrko
Posts: 299

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Zygisrko » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Just listen to the quote again and think "What does blinking have to do with anything spiritual at all?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Doing less or more of it will literally do nothing, other then probably be uncomfortable.
"This too, shall pass"
Keep that in mind if your resisting urges to do anything destructive against yourself.
[email protected]

Fourthreich entire libary
https://mega.nz/#F!dWgBFbpQ!kD-C4rEsSPIaZBvu-miXiQ

User avatar
Sacred_Practice9
Posts: 126

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Sacred_Practice9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's meant to be taken so literally. It seems to me like it is mentioning the 1000 yard stare. But it is probably just referring to having extreme focus in your daily life and in everything else. I have never read this book, nor have I heard of it, but this is just what comes to mind for me.
The gate[s] of heaven
The bars of heaven
The fastenings of heaven
The bolts of heaven
Thou openest
Thou pullest back
Thou loosenest
Thou removest

Shael
Posts: 796

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Shael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:27 am

Zygisrko wrote:Just listen to the quote again and think "What does blinking have to do with anything spiritual at all?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Doing less or more of it will literally do nothing, other then probably be uncomfortable.


You think so? I think that, assuming it was possible to not blink (or to blink significantly less), that could increase awareness of your surroundings. If you think of what you see between each 'blink' as a short clip, all those clips would instead become one long movie if you don't blink. Sorry if this sounds strange but that's the kind of theory I had. Ofcourse the question that comes up here is if it's healthy or not to do that.
'Do not do anything useless.'
-Miyamoto Musashi

40 DAY MEDITATION PROGRAM BY HP HC
[Updated April 2019]

http://tinyurl.com/y3vh4tvu

MerKaBa PDF
http://tinyurl.com/y45fjl89

Hail Satan Forever!

Shael
Posts: 796

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Shael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am

Sacred_Practice9 wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's meant to be taken so literally. It seems to me like it is mentioning the 1000 yard stare. But it is probably just referring to having extreme focus in your daily life and in everything else. I have never read this book, nor have I heard of it, but this is just what comes to mind for me.


It definetly does stand for that among other things. I think you are completely right with that.
However, looking at Musashi's writing style, he tends to have numerous meanings in every single word he writes. Therefore I think that, in addition to the meaning you mentioned, the act of not blinking may also likely have a physical effect in and of itself.
The same goes for the furrow between the eyebrows, in my opinion.

That brings me back to the initial question - do you guys think it would be unhealthy to do those things?
'Do not do anything useless.'
-Miyamoto Musashi

40 DAY MEDITATION PROGRAM BY HP HC
[Updated April 2019]

http://tinyurl.com/y3vh4tvu

MerKaBa PDF
http://tinyurl.com/y45fjl89

Hail Satan Forever!

User avatar
Sacred_Practice9
Posts: 126

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Sacred_Practice9 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Shael wrote:
Sacred_Practice9 wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's meant to be taken so literally. It seems to me like it is mentioning the 1000 yard stare. But it is probably just referring to having extreme focus in your daily life and in everything else. I have never read this book, nor have I heard of it, but this is just what comes to mind for me.


It definetly does stand for that among other things. I think you are completely right with that.
However, looking at Musashi's writing style, he tends to have numerous meanings in every single word he writes. Therefore I think that, in addition to the meaning you mentioned, the act of not blinking may also likely have a physical effect in and of itself.
The same goes for the furrow between the eyebrows, in my opinion.

That brings me back to the initial question - do you guys think it would be unhealthy to do those things?


I mean I think your eyes would dry out hardcore if you never blinked, kind of defeats the purpose of blinking if you ask me.
The gate[s] of heaven
The bars of heaven
The fastenings of heaven
The bolts of heaven
Thou openest
Thou pullest back
Thou loosenest
Thou removest

BlackCherokeeChi
Posts: 101

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby BlackCherokeeChi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:24 am

It's been awhile since I heard of the book. I had it before, but I lost track of it. This whole passage deals with focus nothing else. As far as blinking, as in any situation or combat situatation, he is referencing to gazing and being aware. Unbroken focus. That's it. And the greatest of all information on that is joyofsatan power meditations.

User avatar
Zygisrko
Posts: 299

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Zygisrko » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 am

Shael wrote:
Zygisrko wrote:Just listen to the quote again and think "What does blinking have to do with anything spiritual at all?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Doing less or more of it will literally do nothing, other then probably be uncomfortable.


You think so? I think that, assuming it was possible to not blink (or to blink significantly less), that could increase awareness of your surroundings. If you think of what you see between each 'blink' as a short clip, all those clips would instead become one long movie if you don't blink. Sorry if this sounds strange but that's the kind of theory I had. Ofcourse the question that comes up here is if it's healthy or not to do that.


You blink for a split second, it doesn't affect your awareness at all.
"This too, shall pass"
Keep that in mind if your resisting urges to do anything destructive against yourself.
[email protected]

Fourthreich entire libary
https://mega.nz/#F!dWgBFbpQ!kD-C4rEsSPIaZBvu-miXiQ

Shael
Posts: 796

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Shael » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Zygisrko wrote:
Shael wrote:
Zygisrko wrote:Just listen to the quote again and think "What does blinking have to do with anything spiritual at all?"
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Doing less or more of it will literally do nothing, other then probably be uncomfortable.


You think so? I think that, assuming it was possible to not blink (or to blink significantly less), that could increase awareness of your surroundings. If you think of what you see between each 'blink' as a short clip, all those clips would instead become one long movie if you don't blink. Sorry if this sounds strange but that's the kind of theory I had. Ofcourse the question that comes up here is if it's healthy or not to do that.


You blink for a split second, it doesn't affect your awareness at all.


It does, in my opinion. That's the whole reason behind why I didn't just delete that passage about blinking in the first place.

No matter how you want to sugarcoat it, when you blink you still close your eyes for that split second. A skilled martial artist could predict when you blink and make a quick move in that exact time window. That way you wouldnt stand a chance because you effectively close your eyes for that split second. Imagine blinking and then suddenly having a punch fly at you that's already halfway about to connect. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Also, if for some reason you think that there are no such skilled people out there -- this kind of thing could also happen by accident/luck. This is why (atleast I) instinctively don't blink during a heated and fast combat situation. However, that also gets hard after half a minute or so. Maybe Musashi meant that you should just decrease the blinking interval, and not just don't blink at all. If you would only have to blink every few minutes, then that might be enough to close out every fight before having to blink again.
In another passage, he also said to slightly narrow the eyes. Maybe a combination of those two things would help with dryness of the eyes.

You can rest assured that I actually think about the stuff I post here. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time with a question I posted on a whim.
'Do not do anything useless.'
-Miyamoto Musashi

40 DAY MEDITATION PROGRAM BY HP HC
[Updated April 2019]

http://tinyurl.com/y3vh4tvu

MerKaBa PDF
http://tinyurl.com/y45fjl89

Hail Satan Forever!

User avatar
Stormblood
Posts: 1751
Location: Academy of the Dragon, Dinas Ffaraon

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Stormblood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm

I think he means developing such a concentration that nothing can shake you from it, not even for a blink.

Shael
Posts: 796

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby Shael » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Stormblood wrote:I think he means developing such a concentration that nothing can shake you from it, not even for a blink.


I think you're not wrong there, but Musashi always puts several layers of meaning into everything in his book, so it would only be logical to assume that he might've meant it in a physical sense aswell. Like I described in my above reply to Zygisrko.
'Do not do anything useless.'
-Miyamoto Musashi

40 DAY MEDITATION PROGRAM BY HP HC
[Updated April 2019]

http://tinyurl.com/y3vh4tvu

MerKaBa PDF
http://tinyurl.com/y45fjl89

Hail Satan Forever!

makesyouperfect1
Posts: 11

Re: Question on not blinking and more

Postby makesyouperfect1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Shael wrote:
Zygisrko wrote:
Shael wrote:
You think so? I think that, assuming it was possible to not blink (or to blink significantly less), that could increase awareness of your surroundings. If you think of what you see between each 'blink' as a short clip, all those clips would instead become one long movie if you don't blink. Sorry if this sounds strange but that's the kind of theory I had. Ofcourse the question that comes up here is if it's healthy or not to do that.


You blink for a split second, it doesn't affect your awareness at all.


It does, in my opinion. That's the whole reason behind why I didn't just delete that passage about blinking in the first place.

No matter how you want to sugarcoat it, when you blink you still close your eyes for that split second. A skilled martial artist could predict when you blink and make a quick move in that exact time window. That way you wouldnt stand a chance because you effectively close your eyes for that split second. Imagine blinking and then suddenly having a punch fly at you that's already halfway about to connect. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Also, if for some reason you think that there are no such skilled people out there -- this kind of thing could also happen by accident/luck. This is why (atleast I) instinctively don't blink during a heated and fast combat situation. However, that also gets hard after half a minute or so. Maybe Musashi meant that you should just decrease the blinking interval, and not just don't blink at all. If you would only have to blink every few minutes, then that might be enough to close out every fight before having to blink again.
In another passage, he also said to slightly narrow the eyes. Maybe a combination of those two things would help with dryness of the eyes.

You can rest assured that I actually think about the stuff I post here. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time with a question I posted on a whim.


you think someone is going to predict a blink, and then bound forward in only miliseconds?

people arent that fast, however if you flinch and someone is attacking you you will get hit. absolutely but if you are at a range and you do a calm controlled blink you'll be fine. just make sure you practice non flinching drills and youll be fine


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blackdragon666, Google [Bot] and 23 guests