Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Food Garden

I have managed to stock up a months worth of food. The grocery stores are said to remain open, but who really knows how long until food shortages occur. I want to grow some food but don't have private land. I live in an apartment that does have a patio but I was told that's probably a horrible idea to grow things there because people will steal it. I want to grow potatoes and beans. Those are not the type of plants that do well indoors. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just try and stock up more storable food? Should I not be worried about food shortages, because our country has a wide range of agriculture zones. Or should I plant some food on the porch and hope no one takes it. There also is an option of using someone else's property but that would require interaction with them and I don't know if they are taking precautions to avoid the virus. The last thing I want is to catch this thing. Suggestions?

BrightMorningStar said:
I have managed to stock up a months worth of food. The grocery stores are said to remain open, but who really knows how long until food shortages occur. I want to grow some food but don't have private land. I live in an apartment that does have a patio but I was told that's probably a horrible idea to grow things there because people will steal it. I want to grow potatoes and beans. Those are not the type of plants that do well indoors. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just try and stock up more storable food? Should I not be worried about food shortages, because our country has a wide range of agriculture zones. Or should I plant some food on the porch and hope no one takes it. There also is an option of using someone else's property but that would require interaction with them and I don't know if they are taking precautions to avoid the virus. The last thing I want is to catch this thing. Suggestions?
From my point of view the best idea for you right now is to stock some more, as with the possibility of the plants you want to grow, to be stealed, is quite risky, also I heard that this virus can remain for quite some time on surfaces, also on fruits and plants(not like other viruses won t remain on them). Also plants require time to grow, so the best option is still to stock more. Stay safe brothers and sisters

Sabazios said:
BrightMorningStar said:
From my point of view the best idea for you right now is to stock some more, as with the possibility of the plants you want to grow, to be stealed, is quite risky, also I heard that this virus can remain for quite some time on surfaces, also on fruits and plants(not like other viruses won t remain on them). Also plants require time to grow, so the best option is still to stock more. Stay safe brothers and sisters

!!! Grammar nazi mode /on !!!
to be stealed
To be stolen***

Grammar nazi mode /off

https://urbansurvivalsite.com/fasest-growing-vegetables/

Was in a newsletter that I recieve..
Plants like cucumbers that get quite big are not suitable for such a garden.
You also have balcony gardens apartment gardens etc. Look into that.
You can also hang plants in small bins vertical on a wall.. Make sure to waterproof the wall and everything though..

Also potatoes can take up quite some spaces and peas usually need something to help them climb up for bigger yield. This is why I don't think either of those are suitable for a small place to garden on.

Also you can make a bin, thats deep enough, and then sow and grow some food in there. This could also possibly stand indoors if you have the proper wheels for it, in example, or know how to make it sturdy enough. it wouldn't be exactly like a raised bed though.
If you're short on money, you could try to look for a cement bin (concrete bin) in which you can mix concrete at home, though for root vegetables (plants that grow more into the depth) those may still not be deep enough. You could try growing tomatoes. We grew tomatoes in such a concrete bin before we turned it into a herb garden bin xp.
Crops do need to be rotated or otherwise you'll deplete the soil too much of one nutrient. Though rotation is very hard if you only have one bin.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
to be stealed
To be stolen***

Grammar nazi mode/off
Well... sorry about that, it s not like I wanted to make that mistake sis, but why ''grammar nazi''? :?
Alas
Grammar nazi mode/on
Grammar nazi mode/off
This was only to make a fool out of myself though :D
Anyway, in my opinion it s still more practical to stock more than to grow, or at least do both, your idea, sis, sounds pretty good, but plants need time to grow, and untill they grow the one growing them has to eat something too.

Sabazios said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
to be stealed
To be stolen***

Grammar nazi mode/off
Well... sorry about that, it s not like I wanted to make that mistake sis, but why ''grammar nazi''? :?
Alas
Grammar nazi mode/on
Grammar nazi mode/off
This was only to make a fool out of myself though :D
Anyway, in my opinion it s still more practical to stock more than to grow, or at least do both, your idea, sis, sounds pretty good, but plants need time to grow, and untill they grow the one growing them has to eat something too.

Hahahaha and yes you're right, it's still not a bad idea to stock up :)

Also there are seeds of certain vegetable species that are in bags to keep safe from the gmo mono culture farming with limited kinds of vegetables.. On the package it says that you can freeze them to keep em safe or to store em longer.
Also Im not sure why but the term heirloom seeds comes to mind. Might not have anything to do with what I just wrote. Just saying.

Sabazios said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
to be stealed
To be stolen***

Grammar nazi mode/off
Alas
Grammar nazi mode/on
I agree, correcting grammar is not necessary and just makes people feel bad... For what? Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to stock up on storable long lasting food, and look into a more indoor friendly edible.

BrightMorningStar said:
Sabazios said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

To be stolen***

Grammar nazi mode/off
Alas
Grammar nazi mode/on
I agree, correcting grammar is not necessary and just makes people feel bad... For what? Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to stock up on storable long lasting food, and look into a more indoor friendly edible.

Because stealed doesnt excist. thats why xp.
Plus I dont know if he or she still has to make english tests but a mistake that isnt made is a point gained, right?

Lunar Dance 666 said:
BrightMorningStar said:
Alas
Grammar nazi mode/on

Because stealed doesnt excist. thats why xp.
Plus I dont know if he or she still has to make english tests but a mistake that isnt made is a point gained, right?
I m a guy xD don t worry about it, I do know that it doesn t exist, english isn t my main language, and for as much english is studied in schools here... well this much english I know is enough to get me a degree xDD when I wrote that word I was thinking about something else. I was just confused about that grammar nazi thing xDD and I found it nice, but that s it, and yes you are right about those points and I m truly gratefull for it :)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back