Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Asanas time and inverted asanas

Catalincata94

Some asanas are done only for 30 seconds and 1 minute? Like for some it says to stay 3 minutes then to increase the time till 5 minutes and for some only 30 sec - 1 min. My question is can we stay more in those asanas with 30 sec and 1 min time? Can we increase all asanas till any amount of time?

And i didn't understand the part where it says to skip the inverted asanas if we have brain problems, is it refering to the "condition that could be aggravated by increased pressure or blood flow to the head and neck." Or any problem with the brain? Like schizophrenia but as i know it doesn't gets agravated by increased blood presure to the brain.

Inverted asanas should not be attempted by those who have brain problems, detached retina, cervical problems, who are very overweight or have any condition that could be aggravated by increased pressure or blood flow to the head and neck. You can do the other asanas and leave the inverted ones out.

The holds are guidelines. Do what you can and then over time try and improve. Some holds are extremely hard to hold for longer than 30 seconds to a minute and that’s why those times are advised. But if you can go longer than do it.

Yes you CAN extend. For example Handstand or Standing/& Sitting Forward bend can go upwards of 10 minutes. Same with others like for example plow position.

With that said there is another method of keeping count. For example you can do as you want hold the asana for however long you feel say 1 minute.

Or you can do a normal breath and count based on breaths. For example say you hold handstand for 1 minute, you can perform 60 breaths and count with your breathing.

Note: this isn't breath of fire, this is just simple calm breathing. Since breathing takes about a second to perform. i.e. 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, etc.etc.

Of course you don't have to do that, that's just a suggestion from HP.Cobra's 40-day guide when it comes to keeping count of asanas like he states x4 breaths on K-Yoga and 5 breaths on H-Yoga. So in total the asanas amount to 75-80 breaths with starting point 5 seconds or more precisely 5 breaths.

Also you can synchronize all asanas to be one specific time like 30 seconds or 45 seconds or 1 minute or for specific asanas 2-3-5-10 minutes or longer however much you feel. Again either breath counting or simple counting and holding the asana while breathing normally without counting the breath.

Generally speaking build yourself up slowly. Yoga isn't calisthenics it's not about pushing into pain or discomfort. If it feels good keep at it say for example you do forward bend, and it feels great do it. A good person to talk to about Yoga is Lydia, she's good with it. She can help as well.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back