Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Romanian History 1940 - Second Vienna Award and Ribbentrop Molotov pact

EasternFireLion666

I am making this post for Romanians here to discuss this moment of the history as I admit I am confused about some things. Does anyone know what was the reason Germany decided to promote the Second Viena Award. Romania lost a very large part of Transilvania to Hungary. Also a southern part was given to Bulgaria (Cadrilaterul). Hitler stated Romania was a long therm ally of the Reich.
This was happening in the same year the Soviets invaded Basarabia and the Ribbentrop Molotov pact was still in Effect. Speaking of this, why was this pact even made? Bolshevism was the no 1 enemy of the Reich at that time but no declarations of war took place before that between Germany and the USSR.
The border result of the first two years of war resulted in Romania and Poland being caught between these two powers, but Romania and Hungary were allies of the Axis. I am confused about the reason of this whole map splitting. Was it necessary? The Vienna award also said something about the ethnic assimilation of the romanians on that theritory.

EasternFireLion666 said:
I am making this post for Romanians here to discuss this moment of the history as I admit I am confused about some things. Does anyone know what was the reason Germany decided to promote the Second Viena Award. Romania lost a very large part of Transilvania to Hungary. Also a southern part was given to Bulgaria (Cadrilaterul). Hitler stated Romania was a long therm ally of the Reich.
This was happening in the same year the Soviets invaded Basarabia and the Ribbentrop Molotov pact was still in Effect. Speaking of this, why was this pact even made? Bolshevism was the no 1 enemy of the Reich at that time but no declarations of war took place before that between Germany and the USSR.
The border result of the first two years of war resulted in Romania and Poland being caught between these two powers, but Romania and Hungary were allies of the Axis. I am confused about the reason of this whole map splitting. Was it necessary? The Vienna award also said something about the ethnic assimilation of the romanians on that theritory.

I guess it was usefull at the time, russia did think they can build in secret thear only offence army. (no defense units)
hitler used it for a surprise attack. and maybe it did buy hitler/germany some more time before offence.

Germany needed access to Romanian oil-fields, and was probably ready to accept various compromises to achieve that. However, they could only work with the demands that were presented on both sides. So the loss of Transylvania was the result of Hungary's ambition and Romania's lack thereof. Furthermore, unlike Hungary, Romania fought against Germany during the First War. It only makes sense that Hitler settled for a more favorable outcome for Hungary.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back