Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Should I buy an espresso machine

Purified666

TLDR, should I be concerned with plastic in espresso machines?

I know this is a weird thing to post, but I'm really stuck on this one.

I've been trying to find a bloody espresso machine without plastic, but that's like trying to find a jew who's not a liar.

I'm drinking Turkish coffee for quite some time. At the place I work they have a coffee machine, I tried it... and well, it tastes so much better than the mixture of dirt and water I currently drink(and the coffee I drink is not bad quality, but it tastes like crap compared to one from the machine).

I'm just worried about all the plastic components, they're the main deterrent.

I'm torn between getting it and not getting it... I just really like coffee from that thing, and coffee helps me when I have to study.

If you have your eye on a specific machine, go to their website to see if the plastic components are BPA and chemical free (if that's the problem you are worried about). Check out reviews on amazon.
If it's an all-metal unit that you are looking for, it's gonna cost a good chunk of change.
Some of the machines I checked out a while ago, even with some plastic parts were expensive.
In the meantime, enjoy the coffee that keeps you awake long enough to study, but from experience, watch the addiction. I'm weaning myself down from 6 cups a day to 1 (2 tops), due to skin issues.

Hail Father Satan for His strength and guiding hand.

Purified666 said:

I've been trying to find a bloody espresso machine without plastic, but that's like trying to find a jew who's not a liar.

I'm drinking Turkish coffee for quite some time. At the place I work they have a coffee machine, I tried it... and well, it tastes so much better than the mixture of dirt and water I currently drink(and the coffee I drink is not bad quality, but it tastes like crap compared to one from the machine).

I'm torn between getting it and not getting it... I just really like coffee from that thing, and coffee helps me when I have to study.
An important lesson I have learned recently, is that you should take care to not get obsessed about one particular thing, as this often makes you overlook other details entirely.

It certainly can be unhealthy to drink coffee that has traces of plastic in it, but there are many other factors you should also consider.
Basically, if the coffee from this machine genuinely tastes much better than the one you are drinking currently, and if this is solely the effect of superior machinery, as opposed to additional flavour-boosting additives, then by all means you should buy this machine if you want to.
Just make sure you don't drink coffee in excessive amounts, and you will be perfectly fine. Doing daily meditation and self-empowerment, we SS are beyond having to be afraid of small things like these. As long as the coffee from this machine gives you more pleasure in drinking it, there is really no reason to not buy it, provided that it does not add any other additives to it that "improve" the taste.

I'm not an expert in regards to coffee, as I barely drink it myself, so the above advice was rather general in nature. However, I do hope it was helpful to you in some way nonetheless.

Purified666 said:

More or less every machine has BPA and other chemicals in it. And working with Coffee machines all day I know even the 'quality' brands are filled with cheap components made in China. I would honestly focus more on the container you use to store coffee, and water you use to make it. More so than the plastics themselves.

Distilled water with a pinch of pink salt (per gallon) is much healthier than tap water. As for storage of said water, and resulting creations of it (coffee, tea, etc.) Ceramic and glass do well, but stainless steel is good too :)

But if the plastic still concerns you, you could also run distilled water through the machine a few times before initial use. This would reduce the amount of BPA and other chemicals that leech into the coffee (by picking up the 'loose' chemicals on the surface of the internal plumbing and decanter) :)

I'm not an expert on this either, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helped :D

Do yourself a big favor and get your self a chemex or a percolator, especially if your serious about drinking coffee. I make coffee every morning with a chemex and its absolutely spectacular.

I am not remotely concerned about the plastic in my machine but I do use a caféteri pot for my morning coffee which is entirely stainless steel.

Purified666 said:
I know this is a weird thing to post
Damn right it is :D

Poweredbythesun and others already gave good replies.

You could just save your money and buy a good french press. I wanted to buy an expensive espresso machine with all the bells and whistles but I gave up on the idea because all commercial industries are deeply jewed and they only make shitty, disposable products nowadays.

I myself usually buy roasted coffee beans and grind the required amount at home right before making the drink using an adjustable grinder. Also note that ground coffee loses approximately 60% of its aroma after 15 minutes. Then boil some clean, quality water, put measured amount of grinds (to my liking) into the cup, pour boiling water over them, stir gently with a spoon and then let them brew for about two minutes. The grinds will sink to the bottom of the cup. Then add milk, sugar etc. to your liking. I even don't know how this method of brewing is called. In my language people call it thug's coffee. It's brewing with almost nothing and the result is excellent with deep, full-bodied taste.

Don't overcomplicate simple things in life.

Zygisrko said:
Do yourself a big favor and get your self a chemex or a percolator, especially if your serious about drinking coffee. I make coffee every morning with a chemex and its absolutely spectacular.
Zygisrko is that you in your profile picture? :p

I agree w/Larrisa ... except the Bodard (Chambord) Copper 8 cup french press is where the glory is !

Back in the day when I was offshore a lot on oil rigs, our group of guys used to pitch in and we would order a 40 pound sack of Jamaican beans from a roaster that wholesales on eBay. It would last us all year for very minimal amount of money.

I am convinced coffee and chocolate are the beans of the Gods :D

sip said:
I agree w/Larrisa ... except the Bodard (Chambord) Copper 8 cup french press is where the glory is !

Back in the day when I was offshore a lot on oil rigs, our group of guys used to pitch in and we would order a 40 pound sack of Jamaican beans from a roaster that wholesales on eBay. It would last us all year for very minimal amount of money.

Having a will that makes you get shit done is better than being dependent on a substance that will make you feel like shit if you don’t take it for a day.

Thank you guys for replying! I will get the machine :)

sip said:
Not so sure about chocolate, but I agree on coffee :D

Apprentice said:
I myself usually buy roasted coffee beans and grind the required amount at home right before making the drink using an adjustable grinder. Also note that ground coffee loses approximately 60% of its aroma after 15 minutes. Then boil some clean, quality water, put measured amount of grinds (to my liking) into the cup, pour boiling water over them, stir gently with a spoon and then let them brew for about two minutes. The grinds will sink to the bottom of the cup. Then add milk, sugar etc. to your liking. I even don't know how this method of brewing is called. In my language people call it thug's coffee. It's brewing with almost nothing and the result is excellent with deep, full-bodied taste.

Don't overcomplicate simple things in life.

"Thug's coffee" :lol:
I think I'd rather get the machine, I'm making coffee in a similar way and it tastes yucky after I tried the coffee from the machine. Making coffee with french press is basically how I do it(except I don't use the the french press), I just put coffee on top of warming water and right before it boils, you pull the pot off the heat. After that you can use a spoon to take the coffee foam at the top and put it in your mug(or you can just throw it down the sink), then you just pour it in your cup and wait for 10 minutes for the beans to settle.

Centralforce666 said:
I am not remotely concerned about the plastic in my machine but I do use a caféteri pot for my morning coffee which is entirely stainless steel.
Thank you! I'm less worried about it now.

Larissa666 said:
Get the machine, brew the coffee, and drink it!

Slowly. Make sure to enjoy it.

Please, you overthink too much. You’re gonna be fine.
Aaaww :D. Thank you, I decided to get the machine.

Zygisrko said:
I do have a percolator, but didn't drink coffee from that thing in years. From what I recall, I didn't really like it. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Poweredbythesun said:
More or less every machine has BPA and other chemicals in it. And working with Coffee machines all day I know even the 'quality' brands are filled with cheap components made in China. I would honestly focus more on the container you use to store coffee, and water you use to make it. More so than the plastics themselves.

Distilled water with a pinch of pink salt (per gallon) is much healthier than tap water. As for storage of said water, and resulting creations of it (coffee, tea, etc.) Ceramic and glass do well, but stainless steel is good too :)

But if the plastic still concerns you, you could also run distilled water through the machine a few times before initial use. This would reduce the amount of BPA and other chemicals that leech into the coffee (by picking up the 'loose' chemicals on the surface of the internal plumbing and decanter) :)

I'm not an expert on this either, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helped :D
Thank you! Your tips are very helpful :D

Shael said:
. As long as the coffee from this machine gives you more pleasure in drinking it, there is really no reason to not buy it, provided that it does not add any other additives to it that "improve" the taste.

Nah, the machine just presses presses the coffee out, no additives added :)

Aquarius said:
Having a will that makes you get shit done is better than being dependent on a substance that will make you feel like shit if you don’t take it for a day.
That was pure gold right there, no pun intended.
However, there are days and then there are shitty days. Coffee helps (or that's what I like to think) on the latter ones.

Apprentice said:
Aquarius said:
However, there are days and then there are shitty days. Coffee helps (or that's what I like to think) on the latter ones.
Yeah I understand, I’d take it on days in which you maybe havent slept or have to work a lot but I wouldnt be dependent on it.

Aquarius said:
Apprentice said:
Aquarius said:
Yeah I understand, I’d take it on days in which you maybe havent slept or have to work a lot but I wouldnt be dependent on it.

Well, I only tend to drink coffee when I get a "brain fog" while studying or doing something important, it helps me get more stuff done.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back