Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Time management or just laziness

BlueLight

I ended up in this situation because my partner - also a SS, who will see this - refuses to make his bed.

His solid argument when it comes to this matter - time management.

My take on this - laziness.

Yes, he considers making his bed useless. xD

I'd love to hear the opinion other men have on this subject.

Well, I would say time management lol.

I'm the same. I don't really see the point in making the bed, but that's me. I never really liked to have things "in their place" if I use them often, like my everyday shoes and jacket(s). My ideal set up in terms of everyday clothes is having them in the open and near the door, that way I just put everything on and that's it. Quick and efficient :)

Back to the topic at hand, yeah, bed making is not something I do. If I was forced to make my bed... I'd hate the whole 3 seconds of effort I'd put into it :lol:

Im a woman, but here what I know about making beds.

1# learning it as a child to teach them discipline (though I think this as taken from a book in Germany about the SS youth)

2# Representation to guests. A neatly made bed is nothing to be ashamed of. (Especially if you're a host or own a hotel or something with sleeping arrangements)

3# Making a bed (in my own language), I was told that it was derived from 'making open' (more or less literally translated) and that it was to help the sweat and such evaporate from the blankets and matrass, keeping them not only smelling fresh and clean, but to inhibit bacteria and the like from growing in damp areas.
Health reasons.

Also, futons are also needed to hang out and to be taken proper care of so that they'll last.

It's quite likely but not many people do it nowadays, and also, not every item that you sleep in needs this kind of care with modern materials.

And the 'making open' they don't mean to place the blanket over firm over the entire bed, but to fold it up on the end where the feet lay when you are sleeping.

Also, if its of any relevance to you, I don't usually make my bed either. Never been a habit of mine.

BlueLight said:
I ended up in this situation because my partner - also a SS, who will see this - refuses to make his bed.

Currently, I do not make my bed either.

What’s the point on doing that when I am laying on it whole goddamn day.

I'd say lazyness, I love doing my bed as soon as I'm up, since I pass most of my time in my room studying ecc I want a nice clean environment which is in order haha

Aquarius said:
I'd say lazyness, I love doing my bed as soon as I'm up, since I pass most of my time in my room studying ecc I want a nice clean environment which is in order haha

Same, I feel like my whole room is messy if I don't make my bed.

BlueLight said:

I love that we can talk about casual stuff like this too sometimes :D

I don't usually make my bed.
I think this kinda stuff really depends on the person. It's more of a mental thing.
Generally I'd say it's better to do it, since it gets you more used to keep things neat and in order, which is a great attitude to have overall. I wouldn't obsess over it, though. If you leave it to him for now, he might just change his mind on his own after a while :)

BlueLight said:
Aquarius said:

Same, I feel like my whole room is messy if I don't make my bed.

I personally don't out of what is definitely laziness, but I do think it's good to do for this reason. Even if one is not actively thinking about the state of cleanliness - or lack thereof - of the room they're in, it's like the entire emotional vibe the room gives off is affected by stuff like a made bed, or clothes in the basket as opposed to being in a pile near a full basket.

I've too many clothes for the size of my space, starting to realize.

It is certainly not time management. Its Lazy excuse for a lazy guy.

Time management means that one organizes schedules his/ her activities to sucessfully complete as many (and the most vital, important) tasks as possible with the least amount of time used within a certain period.

making your bed and keeping your enviroment clean and organized helps you to develop and maintain This type of behaviour and gives a good frame and starting point for such, not to mention the higher level of awareness and confidence that comes with being organized, prepared and efficient. One could argue: “I don’t schedule my activities for the next day since it takes 5 minutes away ( never mind, that it will save hours of time the next day) muh time management baby.”

Time management is about getting more things done in the amount of time that one has.

Prioritising is deciding what is important when the amount of things one has to do exceeds the amount of time one has.

So... Is it prioritising?

If not, then it may be laziness.

It could be a personal preference. Cleanliness and health related things aside.

For me between the feeling i get when my bed is made vs when my bed is a mess, there is definitely a discernible difference. I like when my bed is made and it feels good when its neat and tidy. My day feels like it going well and I have energy to do what I need to do. A refreshing feeling. When my bed is unmade I get the urge to just lay back in it and be lazy. I feel disorganized and less inclined to do anything. It might be due to a shift in mental states.

If i don't make my bed its because I am being lazy.

Zeffie of the Wind said:

For me between the feeling i get when my bed is made vs when my bed is a mess, there is definitely a discernible difference. I like when my bed is made and it feels good when its neat and tidy. My day feels like it going well and I have energy to do what I need to do. A refreshing feeling. When my bed is unmade I get the urge to just lay back in it and be lazy. I feel disorganized and less inclined to do anything. It might be due to a shift in mental states.

You know, I noticed this too.

My room feels gloomy and depressing when the bed isn't made, but bright and and with positive energy around me, which is awesome! :)

You know what seems to be a hype right now?

the konmari cleaning method.

Based on books witten by Marie Kondo about cleaning the space getting rid of things that don't spark joy and such.

If it is needed or if anyone is interested in it, you can look it up.

The books she wrote are:
-Life changing magic of tidying up
-Spark Joy (the full audiobook is uploaded on youtube)

Zeffie of the Wind said:

I feel the same way. I do think it can help quite a lot with self-discipline. But this varies from one person to another. There was a time when I hated doing my bed, but now I'd just feel bad and irked by it if I had a messy bed.

It might seem like a small or insignificant topic of discussion, but it can affect people greatly. Just like T.A.O.L has said, teaching your children to make their beds from a young age can help in the process of teaching them responsibility and self-discipline.

I have read about it and other people also feel like their whole room is a disaster when they don't make their beds. So I was curious if there are other SS members who - just like my partner - hate making their bed.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back