Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Google tracks you even if you turn off 'location history'

Hierophant

https://www.wired.com/story/google-location-tracking-turn-off/?utm_referrer=https://zen.yandex.com

"IF, LIKE MOST people, you thought Google stopped tracking your location once you turned off Location History in your account settings, you were wrong. According to an AP investigation published Monday, even if you disable Location History, the search giant still tracks you every time you open Google Maps, get certain automatic weather updates, or search for things in your browser. There's a way to stop it—but it takes some digging.

The problem affects anyone with an Android phone and iPhone users running Google Maps on their devices, according to the AP report, which researchers at Princeton University verified. That's more than two billion people.

The Google support page for managing and deleting your Location History says that once you turn it off, "the places you go are no longer stored. When you turn off Location History for your Google Account, it's off for all devices associated with that Google Account." The AP's investigation found that's not true. In fact, turning off your Location History only stops Google from creating a timeline of your location that you can view. Some apps will still track you and store time-stamped location data from your devices.

More specifically, the AP was able to track Princeton researcher Gunes Acar's home address, as well as his daily activities, using just Google Web & App activity, which he had shared with the news agency.

"If Google is representing to its users that they can turn off or pause location tracking but it's nevertheless tracking their location, that seems like textbook deception to me," says Alan Butler, senior council at the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

To actually turn off location tracking, Google says you have to navigate to a setting buried deep in your Google Account called Web & App Activity, which is set by default to share your information, including not just location but IP address and more. Finding that setting isn't easy. At all.

Sign in to your Google account on a browser on iOS or your desktop, or through the Android settings menu. In the browser, access your account settings by finding Google Account in the dropdown in the upper right-hand corner, then head to Personal Info & Privacy, choose Go to My Activity, then in the left-hand nav click Activity Controls. Once there you'll see the setting called Web & App Activity, which you can toggle off."

I have witnessed this first-hand, too.

I found that when I use my VPN on my laptop computer, this really stops Google from tracking my location. But on my Android phone, even if I have location sharing turned off and if I use a VPN, Google is still able to track the exact street I live on.

I didn't know about this setting. Thank you. Too bad my personal Android phone stopped working during this mercury retrograde period, and I'll have to buy a new one.

They're tracking a lot more than just location. Website history, clicking habits, emails, text messages... :evil:

I'm going to stick with my ancient flip-open cell phone that doesn't even know the Internet exists.

Soaring Eagle 666 said:
I'm going to stick with my ancient flip-open cell phone that doesn't even know the Internet exists.

Lol!! :lol: yeah I think it's the safest way, no worries anymore :cool: I don't have the patience to work with this technology, I can lose control and throw my phone through the window easily :x :mrgreen:

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back