Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Coding for JoS, safely

Young Faith

Hi, this is more of a question to Soaring Eagle and everyone else who does coding for JoS. How do you do that in a safe way?
I started using Tails for browsing the JoS websites and the forums, and I think that it might be best to even code anything JoS related here, but Tails wasn't really built for coding. So, established programmers of JoS, what would be your suggested approach?

Young Faith said:
Hi, this is more of a question to Soaring Eagle and everyone else who does coding for JoS. How do you do that in a safe way?
I started using Tails for browsing the JoS websites and the forums, and I think that it might be best to even code anything JoS related here, but Tails wasn't really built for coding. So, established programmers of JoS, what would be your suggested approach?
You can use nearly any OS for programming. The JoS websites mainly use HTML, JS, CSS, and PHP, which you can do just about anywhere with a text editor.

I have a local mirror of the JoS website for testing. That keeps everything self-contained so nothing leaks out onto the internet.

For programming in a "safe" way, the best advice I can give is to study existing code you've written and try to break from your own style. Use different structures that are equivalent. For example, if you typically use "++c;" to increment your loops, switch to "c++;" in your JoS code. Just like authors of books can be identified by their style, the same is true for programmers. Above all, do NOT copy and paste functions you've written for non-JoS projects. If you need old functions, then change the name, and go over each line and change your style.

Also, make sure you erase the metadata on PDFs or images you share.

Also, it should go without saying but I'll say it anyway: Use a fake username on your computer. There are countless ways your username can leak in code you release, so just use a fake name that sounds real like "Fred" or "Riley", so that if people find it they'll think it might be real and waste a bunch of time checking it out. :twisted:

P.S. I don't check this subforum very often. It helps if you create a quote with my name so I get a notification.

Soaring Eagle 666 [JG said:
" post_id=433660 time=1680253211 user_id=346]
Young Faith said:
You can use nearly any OS for programming. The JoS websites mainly use HTML, JS, CSS, and PHP, which you can do just about anywhere with a text editor.

I have a local mirror of the JoS website for testing. That keeps everything self-contained so nothing leaks out onto the internet.

For programming in a "safe" way, the best advice I can give is to study existing code you've written and try to break from your own style. Use different structures that are equivalent. For example, if you typically use "++c;" to increment your loops, switch to "c++;" in your JoS code. Just like authors of books can be identified by their style, the same is true for programmers. Above all, do NOT copy and paste functions you've written for non-JoS projects. If you need old functions, then change the name, and go over each line and change your style.

Also, it should go without saying but I'll say it anyway: Use a fake username on your computer. There are countless ways your username can leak in code you release, so just use a fake name that sounds real like "Fred" or "Riley", so that if people find it they'll think it might be real and waste a bunch of time checking it out. :twisted:

P.S. I don't check this subforum very often. It helps if you create a quote with my name so I get a notification.

Thanks :) Yea I don't want any JoS-related repository saved on my "normal" hard disks, I'll keep everything inside the Tails USB to be extra safe. Even if coding here will be tedious, I'm spoiled with my tools :D

Young Faith said:
Young Faith said:

Thanks :) Yea I don't want any JoS-related repository saved on my "normal" hard disks, I'll keep everything inside the Tails USB to be extra safe. Even if coding here will be tedious, I'm spoiled with my tools :D

If you got a large USB you can use Ventoy. It allows multiple boots plus you can even use your flashdrive like a storage so it separates the data and you can still store like normal.

Just recently for those looking for USB drives here's a deal from Hardforum: https://hardforum.com/threads/pny-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-8-95-amazon.2026272/#post-1045617354. I need one but found one in my house. But it's a cheap value for reasonable flashdrives.

Not the greatest or fastest drives but PNY drives are reasonable brand over the years.

Gear88 said:
Young Faith said:

If you got a large USB you can use Ventoy. It allows multiple boots plus you can even use your flashdrive like a storage so it separates the data and you can still store like normal.

Just recently for those looking for USB drives here's a deal from Hardforum: https://hardforum.com/threads/pny-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-8-95-amazon.2026272/#post-1045617354. I need one but found one in my house. But it's a cheap value for reasonable flashdrives.

Not the greatest or fastest drives but PNY drives are reasonable brand over the years.

That's interesting. Thank you!

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back