Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Sleep patterns: how to fix them?

Stormblood

I'm starting this topic following up on a SS advice. This is not by a long shot a guide for those suffering by sleep disorders, but a aid request. It's starting with me, but of course anyone who's having troubles with sleep can pitch in, as long as those troubles don't come from blatant enemy attacks. For that, there is another topic opened by someone else. I ask you to please respect this wish, but I won't bother you if you decide not to.

So I've been battling sleep for what it seems like forever. The problem is not just insomnia or oversleeping. It's both. About half of the time I can't get to sleep and the other half I manage to, but I oversleep. Sometimes, if I go to bed before 10:30 pm, I would wake up at about 3:15 am fully refreshed and alert. If I force myself to fall asleep again, it would take me about two hours to do so and I would end up sleeping past noon into early afternoon. If I go to sleep past 10:30 pm, I would certainly oversleep. By oversleep I mean more than 10 hours. Possibly even 13. Years ago, once I slept 27 hours straight without ever consciously waking up and I wasn't even tired before going. On the other side of the badge, I can stay up for 72 hours straight, only suffering performance reduction in the last 3 hours.

These sleep disorders don't fuck up the spiritual part of my schedule, because that's my priority and I always make sure I finish everything on it before going to sleep no matter what, but sometimes it screws with other aspects of my life, like physical training, study and meal timing. I do not work currently, so it can't fuck up my career. Thankfully (or not).

Any help? Ask any questions and I will make sure to reply what I can. I'm a young adult male, age 19-30 (not saying the real age publicly).

Was there a time when I had no troubles with sleep?
Yes, it was 2012, mid-summer, and I had a couple of internships one with my country's Navy and the other followed with my country's Air Force. That was the only times I had no problems. Probably because I was even too busy all day to even think about it. I woke up about 5-10 minutes before they woke us up and managed to fall asleep right away at night.

From what I have just read, I certainly don't think this is the product of any health problem.

What you need to do is decide on a sleep schedule and set an alarm.

If you wake up refreshed and alert at any point in the day or night, you should probably just stay up.

Going back to sleep when you aren't tired is not great for your circadian rhythm and probably just confuses your body and your mind. It helps when one has a routine and things to physically do each day as this aids sleep patterns which are 'normal'.

Having said that, everyone's sleep requirements are different and you need to listen to your body. If you are waking up refreshed and alert, this is your body telling you that you have had enough sleep..

Ignoring this can only be detrimental.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back