Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Powerlifter here!

SATchives

I can say I would love more information. I don't consider myself a professional in any degree. and honestly i've only learned from things here and there.

I currently do body weight calisthenics for boxing / mua thai. but I do like the idea of training for strength and lifting heavy, I hoping I might be able to do this and still stay lean. I have tried this in the past but never got proficient

but I'd like to know your advice on adding strength to my routine and if this is possible to do without bulking me up to much, as i'm still 20 lbs away from where I am trying to fight in

I take animal cuts for cutting (this is only temporary I'm not sure how healthy it is, but was recommended it and it does seem to be working) and i recently am trying hmb with d3 for muscle recovery,

I would like to bulk up with lean muscle that translates to strength and speed, thanks for your help!

Hail Satan!

Thanks for the information, however please don't give credit to the evil jewish communist machine known as the soviet union. Periodization originates from Ancient Greece, and credit should be given to them.

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them out. in the future after I'm happy with my skill level I'll take a few months off of calisthenics to work heavy. dedicating a few months to it. Hail Satan!!

Primal said:
Hi folks.

In my youth, powerlifting and Olympic-style lifting have been my love and joy. It still is right now, and it's a big reason I'm pursuing an Exercise Science degree in college. I believe I can contribute to this place as far as fitness is concerned. I love talking about these things and I have extensive experience being a powerlifter and an Olympic-style lifter.

Muscle-mass is undoubtedly an excellent marker for a person's overall health. Of course it's not everything, but it helps a lot.

If any of you have any questions on how to build muscle, get stronger, improve for a sport, and how to properly bulk up with lean muscle instead of fat, I'm your guy. It's the least I can do since this place was very welcoming to me.

As a way of giving my credentials... I have deadlifted 455 pounds when I was a teenager and my best squat was 415 pounds. That squat number is deceptive because I was actually handicapping myself on purpose when I did it, so my "true" powerlifting squat weight really was more along the lines of 445 pounds if I was not gimping myself. My best bench press was 275 pounds, which was decent but not great.

Hail Satan!

Brilliant mate.

Stats are immense, i can only beat you on bench press 160Kg for one rep done it in prison also outside which impressed a few. In jail you are pushed by your pals to go heavy.

Deadlift hurt my back was only 180kg or so not heavy but hurt my back terrible technique.

Squats i used to miss leg days :lol: :lol: only now do i do it so i dont look daft.

Stormblood has knowledge also on this subject although im unsure if he has put his stats on, not that there is a need knowledge is perfect.

good to hear that mate.

SATchives said:
I can say I would love more information. I don't consider myself a professional in any degree. and honestly i've only learned from things here and there.

I currently do body weight calisthenics for boxing / mua thai. but I do like the idea of training for strength and lifting heavy, I hoping I might be able to do this and still stay lean. I have tried this in the past but never got proficient

but I'd like to know your advice on adding strength to my routine and if this is possible to do without bulking me up to much, as i'm still 20 lbs away from where I am trying to fight in

I take animal cuts for cutting (this is only temporary I'm not sure how healthy it is, but was recommended it and it does seem to be working) and i recently am trying hmb with d3 for muscle recovery,

I would like to bulk up with lean muscle that translates to strength and speed, thanks for your help!

Hail Satan!

hey im no professional in either powerlifting nor fighting, but ideally I think youd want to add 3-4 main exercises into your program.

1.Squat-the most important workout for any athlete it increases jump height, sprinting speed, nervous system strength, core strength, and works almost every muscle in the body. As a fighter I'm sure you know most of the power from a punch comes from the legs, well squatting improves leg strength and explosive strength/speed. you cant do this with calisthenics as your legs are too strong to benefit from only bodyweight, and it wont give the same benefits to your nervous system(but I think practicing jumping is good to increase explosive strength).if you're not doing them already then do them now

2. Snatch/clean/jerk- this is a purely explosive workout done in the olympics and works every muscle in the body. it will increase explosive strength and speed in every part of the body and you will notice a difference.

3.Lunges- Notice how these are all leg workouts? :lol: :lol: but really walking lunges are killer, they increase athletic performance so much, increase jump height and running speed. Think about it like this," if an olympic runner is doing this to get faster(increase fast twitch muscle fibers and become more explosive) then wouldn't it also make me faster?" I do walking lunges and they have to be my second favorite exercise, after squats ofc, and all I do is grab two dumbells and get at em!

4.Deadlifts- I put deadlifts as 4 because although they're extremely beneficial i know theres a stigma with them and many people would jump on me for putting them first. Yes with wrong form you will hurt yourself and blow out your back, but thats with consistent bad form. One bad day of lifting will not hurt you 99.999997% of the time, rather its from months to years of bad form and bad practice. Even then powerlifting has the lowest injury rates of any sport and most of the injuries that do occur are less severe than other sports. Generally speaking the deadlift is the best way to increase posterior chain strength and nervous system strength. I mean most of the weight professional power lifters lift could literally crush the bones of regular people, their spines are literally stronger than metal bars. Its a wonderful exercise if you do it right and I recommend it.

extras I thought abt when doing this- The medicine ball throw is good if you're not already doing it. Basically you stand straight with a medicine ball and a wall to your side and you explosively twist your side and throw the ball. its supposed to work your obliques(so imagine the stronger cross jab you'll get from it) Think of it like a standing russian twists

WHY THERES ONLY LEG WORKOUTS
If im being honest calisthenics are good enough to increase upper body strength, anyone who can do a 2 clap (behind the back and one in front) pushup or handstand clapping pushup or front lever is gonna be strong, the upper body is much weaker than the lower body and can be trained at home effectively. the main problem is the lower body, which if you look at any calisthenics athlete theyre always hiding their legs behind baggy pants, because your legs need more. Legs and core are really the most important things to an athlete and the exercises i put above train both legs and core. Not only that but a deadlifts and snatches/cleans/jerks train back and snatches/cleans/jerks train pushing strength too. All in all they will increase athletic performance and I promise you will notice a difference.

PROGRAMMING-
I don't know your schedule and i dont know which of these you already do. I recommend you have atleast one day of rest before training these again(so only train every other day at most, and 2x a week at least) as these all train the nervous system and it can quickly wear out causing bad form then injury. Also it'll give time for your muscles to heal. Also every 2 months take a week off or lift really light weight, this is called a deload week and it helps recover the nervous system increasing strength and preventing injury

You're gonna wanna start each workout you do with a heavy lift, and ultimately you may not even do all 4 in one day. For example you could do:
Heavy Squats-4reps, 3 sets, 8-9rpe
Deadlifts/romanian deadlifts-12-15reps, 3 sets, 6-7rep
walking lunges-20reps(10 each side), 3 sets, 8-9rep
Medicine ball throws-20 times changing sides each time

Then that would be it for the day, and you could incorporate snatches into a different workout later on in the week. Or if u find it beneficial to your strength then add them into that workout wherever you feel comfortable! It really is up to you and either way you'd be helping yourself out.

Anyways I just woke up and spent the past hour writing this so I need to go meditate, feel free to reply with any questions!

Someone.something_ said:
SATchives said:

Hail Satan!

hey im no professional in either powerlifting nor fighting, but ideally I think youd want to add 3-4 main exercises into your program.

1.Squat-the most important workout for any athlete it increases jump height, sprinting speed, nervous system strength, core strength, and works almost every muscle in the body. As a fighter I'm sure you know most of the power from a punch comes from the legs, well squatting improves leg strength and explosive strength/speed. you cant do this with calisthenics as your legs are too strong to benefit from only bodyweight, and it wont give the same benefits to your nervous system(but I think practicing jumping is good to increase explosive strength).if you're not doing them already then do them now

2. Snatch/clean/jerk- this is a purely explosive workout done in the olympics and works every muscle in the body. it will increase explosive strength and speed in every part of the body and you will notice a difference.

3.Lunges- Notice how these are all leg workouts? :lol: :lol: but really walking lunges are killer, they increase athletic performance so much, increase jump height and running speed. Think about it like this," if an olympic runner is doing this to get faster(increase fast twitch muscle fibers and become more explosive) then wouldn't it also make me faster?" I do walking lunges and they have to be my second favorite exercise, after squats ofc, and all I do is grab two dumbells and get at em!

4.Deadlifts- I put deadlifts as 4 because although they're extremely beneficial i know theres a stigma with them and many people would jump on me for putting them first. Yes with wrong form you will hurt yourself and blow out your back, but thats with consistent bad form. One bad day of lifting will not hurt you 99.999997% of the time, rather its from months to years of bad form and bad practice. Even then powerlifting has the lowest injury rates of any sport and most of the injuries that do occur are less severe than other sports. Generally speaking the deadlift is the best way to increase posterior chain strength and nervous system strength. I mean most of the weight professional power lifters lift could literally crush the bones of regular people, their spines are literally stronger than metal bars. Its a wonderful exercise if you do it right and I recommend it.

extras I thought abt when doing this- The medicine ball throw is good if you're not already doing it. Basically you stand straight with a medicine ball and a wall to your side and you explosively twist your side and throw the ball. its supposed to work your obliques(so imagine the stronger cross jab you'll get from it) Think of it like a standing russian twists

WHY THERES ONLY LEG WORKOUTS
If im being honest calisthenics are good enough to increase upper body strength, anyone who can do a 2 clap (behind the back and one in front) pushup or handstand clapping pushup or front lever is gonna be strong, the upper body is much weaker than the lower body and can be trained at home effectively. the main problem is the lower body, which if you look at any calisthenics athlete theyre always hiding their legs behind baggy pants, because your legs need more. Legs and core are really the most important things to an athlete and the exercises i put above train both legs and core. Not only that but a deadlifts and snatches/cleans/jerks train back and snatches/cleans/jerks train pushing strength too. All in all they will increase athletic performance and I promise you will notice a difference.

PROGRAMMING-
I don't know your schedule and i dont know which of these you already do. I recommend you have atleast one day of rest before training these again(so only train every other day at most, and 2x a week at least) as these all train the nervous system and it can quickly wear out causing bad form then injury. Also it'll give time for your muscles to heal. Also every 2 months take a week off or lift really light weight, this is called a deload week and it helps recover the nervous system increasing strength and preventing injury

You're gonna wanna start each workout you do with a heavy lift, and ultimately you may not even do all 4 in one day. For example you could do:
Heavy Squats-4reps, 3 sets, 8-9rpe
Deadlifts/romanian deadlifts-12-15reps, 3 sets, 6-7rep
walking lunges-20reps(10 each side), 3 sets, 8-9rep
Medicine ball throws-20 times changing sides each time

Then that would be it for the day, and you could incorporate snatches into a different workout later on in the week. Or if u find it beneficial to your strength then add them into that workout wherever you feel comfortable! It really is up to you and either way you'd be helping yourself out.

Anyways I just woke up and spent the past hour writing this so I need to go meditate, feel free to reply with any questions!

Thanks for the information!! I'll definitely add more leg workouts, for legs i'm just doing sprints, iron mikes, wall sits, squats with body weight, and 20+ min of bouncing (jump rope or w/o rope)

I'll give snatches a go as well.

for upper body i'm only doing pullups pushups and their variations

I have a gym membership where I use the cables and do form punches with weigh, since I have a gym membership I'll be able to add things you listed pretty easily at least twice a week.

I wish you the best with your meditations

and thanks again for your replies

Hail Satan!!

Primal said:
EnkiUK55 said:
Brilliant mate.

Stats are immense, i can only beat you on bench press 160Kg for one rep done it in prison also outside which impressed a few. In jail you are pushed by your pals to go heavy.

Deadlift hurt my back was only 180kg or so not heavy but hurt my back terrible technique.

Squats i used to miss leg days :lol: :lol: only now do i do it so i dont look daft.

Stormblood has knowledge also on this subject although im unsure if he has put his stats on, not that there is a need knowledge is perfect.

good to hear that mate.

Very impressive bench press dude. There are many dedicated lifters who are struggling to break the mere 315-pound mark, but you've already gone way past that.

I have befriended many people who were incarcerated. They may be very brutish from the outside, but a lot of them really did learn some powerful life lessons in prison. Just so you know, the same way Satan looks out for his own, I look out for my friends as well. We're in the same team.

Hail Satan.

Thank you my brother, yeah a lot of good boys in there alot maybe grew up in bad situations or under bad parents and took wrong road.

I took the wrong road but found the right one.

Some very clever boys in there maybe not so clever at their initial crimes but showed me the ropes and tought me well in the gym.

Take care my friend.

Primal said:
SATchives said:
Thanks for the information, however please don't give credit to the evil jewish communist machine known as the soviet union. Periodization originates from Ancient Greece, and credit should be given to them.

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them out. in the future after I'm happy with my skill level I'll take a few months off of calisthenics to work heavy. dedicating a few months to it. Hail Satan!!

It's gonna be a great few months for you when you do it. Hopefully you'll take the natural, steroid-free path. Lots of people resort to drugs and it messes up their lives in so many bad ways.

When it happens, don't pay attention to how you look. Only pay attention to your bodyweight and your lifts. If you are steadily gaining weight without gaining too much too fast and your numbers (strength) in the squat, bench press, et cetera are going up, you are doing it right. Go crazy on it. Keep getting stronger. Eat a lot. Rest a lot. There are many good training programs out there available. I highly recommend sticking to the advice and training programs of powerlifters and Olympic-style lifters instead of bodybuilders at that stage of your development, while listening to diet advice from bodybuilders.

Keep it safe, maintain strict form, and listen to your body. Stay injury free. Do not show off.

Thanks for the motivational words, and great advice, and no worries, I'll never resort to drugs, I'm doing this for health of the mind, body and soul.

Primal said:
Hi folks.

In my youth, powerlifting and Olympic-style lifting have been my love and joy. It still is right now, and it's a big reason I'm pursuing an Exercise Science degree in college. I believe I can contribute to this place as far as fitness is concerned. I love talking about these things and I have extensive experience being a powerlifter and an Olympic-style lifter.

Muscle-mass is undoubtedly an excellent marker for a person's overall health. Of course it's not everything, but it helps a lot.

If any of you have any questions on how to build muscle, get stronger, improve for a sport, and how to properly bulk up with lean muscle instead of fat, I'm your guy. It's the least I can do since this place was very welcoming to me.

As a way of giving my credentials... I have deadlifted 455 pounds when I was a teenager and my best squat was 415 pounds. That squat number is deceptive because I was actually handicapping myself on purpose when I did it, so my "true" powerlifting squat weight really was more along the lines of 445 pounds if I was not gimping myself. My best bench press was 275 pounds, which was decent but not great.

Hail Satan!

That's awesome! Nice inspiration. I just started working out about a month ago. My max bench back then was 80 now it's 100. I often get depressed because I have such a long ways to go. Any advice on how to stay positive with that? And how long do you think it will take to really gain some muscle?

Primal said:
DarkDan666 said:
Primal said:
I was typing something and phone acted stupid. Now I have to retype, but anyway...

I'll assume those numbers (80 and 100) are kilograms.

Firstly, that's great progress. Keep it up.

For motivation and handling depression, remember that the two most important traits that Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor during the Caesar dynasty) that he found admirable from his stepdad were stamina and perseverance. In other words, a true great man has to endlessly endure hard work and be able to bounce back from life's punches. Anyone can head to the gym and lift heavy weights. It's another to do it consistently for years because that takes stamina and perseverance. You simply sustain that hard work for many months and still go to the gym despite setbacks. "There ain't nothing to it but to do it," as eight-time Mister Olympia Ronnie Coleman once said. Screw psychology techniques. Simply punish yourself when you get lazy and just do better the next day by doing the work. When you wake up, eat breakfast, and brush your teeth, simply nap for a bit and then drive to the gym and do your prescribed training session. If you do it, you're awesome, if you don't, you're weak. No excuses. Just do it. Doing so will build you up and test your internal strength.

As far as how long it takes to "really gain muscle..." Such a tricky question. My answer:

Years if you're a serious athlete, three months if you're a hobbyist. If you're a serious athlete, you aim to do it for the long haul. Your goal is to become the best you can be and the training never stops until you find a different pursuit or some jerk cuts off your limbs. Even old people train. It's endless for serious athletes.

For hobbyists, they will likely gain a solid fifteen pounds of muscle in three months of heavy lifting and a high-protein diet and be satisfied with that. Don't be another one of those hobbyists. You either go full-throttle or not at all. Make hard-work a daily norm.

Ultimately, world champions in bodybuilding, powerlifting, and Olympic-lifting are built from parents giving birth to a genetically-gifted baby, and then proceeding to groom that kid with training to be part of the elite. That's why champions are super-rare and unrelatable. Us, the masses, who at best will be local champions who inspire our friends and families to do better, are built from mediocre genetics, a ton of consistent hard work, a ton of intelligent hard work, and lots of food. That's the "secret" if ever there was one. Stamina and perseverance as Aurelius puts it.

And let's face it. We are Devil-worshippers. We'll be born with better physical genetics after our current life in this body.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that. I will definitely come back to this in those times of need. I actually did mean lbs lol. I'm tall and skinny and have never lifted a weight before last month. I have got a long ways to go. Well I hope by the end of three months I'll be able to look in the mirror and be somewhat happy with my body. I know if I see more change for the better I'll want to do more so that would be nice inspiration. Sometimes that warrior mentality kicks in and it feels great. Never going to stop advancing in any way. Especially in meditation. I wish I did not get so easily discouraged with such a slow process. I guess it also helps to think how much worse I'd be if I was eating a awful diet and actually doing nothing at all lol. Again thank you.

Primal said:
DarkDan666 said:
Primal said:
At a 100-pound max bench press... It is extremely important for you to eat a lot of quality food as you train. It will most definitely be a big uphill battle for you if you have severe ectomorph "Michael Jordan" genetics.

It doesn't matter. The key is to improve. Use your newfound strength from training by being a Muay Thai fighter. You probably have zero chance of winning a powerlifting competition if you start at a 100-pound bench press. But if you keep getting stronger and gain muscle, use that strength to be a great kickboxer. People of your bodytype usually end up becoming like Remy Bojanski and Badr Hari. They were definitely ectomorphs who built muscle in their tall frames.

I am so fucking tired of being below average at everything. Hopefully sooner then later all of this working out and meditation will pay off. I am exhausted in every way. Oh well just going to keep going...

I have never done powerlifting but in the old days when I trained much heavier in the gym than I do now, I got to do 6 or 7 reps on the deadlift with 170kg and 10 full reps of leg press with 340kg, in the bench press I never did heavy because I was hampered by an old injury to my left elbow that I got from a fall running on my bike when I was a teenager.
But then these last few years when my kundalini woke up and the excess energy caused me to feel tired and tense I had to reduce the weights in the gym.

Primal said:
Wotanwarrior said:
I have never done powerlifting but in the old days when I trained much heavier in the gym than I do now, I got to do 6 or 7 reps on the deadlift with 170kg and 10 full reps of leg press with 340kg, in the bench press I never did heavy because I was hampered by an old injury to my left elbow that I got from a fall running on my bike when I was a teenager.
But then these last few years when my kundalini woke up and the excess energy caused me to feel tired and tense I had to reduce the weights in the gym.

Just keep in mind that deadlifting 375 pounds/170 kg for 6 or 7 reps means you have enough power to knock even big guys out with a punch. lol. That is strong.

How long did you train to get to that level?

Something like 10 years, but on the other hand I didn't like the physique I had because I was very overweight, also even if you don't get injured your joints end up suffering from so much heavy training.

Primal said:
Wotanwarrior said:
Primal said:
Just keep in mind that deadlifting 375 pounds/170 kg for 6 or 7 reps means you have enough power to knock even big guys out with a punch. lol. That is strong.

Something like 10 years, but on the other hand I didn't like the physique I had because I was very overweight, also even if you don't get injured your joints end up suffering from so much heavy training.

I am sorry. I really don't want to be the guy who says this but I think I owe you some honesty...

An entire decade of training without being able to deadlift at least 500 pounds is kind of umm... Alarming. Were you not eating enough throughout that entire decade?

Dude, most grown men can break the 500-pound deadlift barrier in well-under three years of consistent training. And that's underestimating it.

I mentioned above that I have never done powerlinfting and never did a single max rep.
If your whole life revolves around seeing how much you lift in a certain exercise and saying others are weak or lazy for not doing the same that's called obsession. :shock:

Wotanwarrior said:
Primal said:
Wotanwarrior said:

1. Yoga asanas strengthen joints and ensure flexibility

2. Appropriate nutritional habits will ensure being in proportional measures

3. Train hard, rest hard.

Sorry if I bring up this topic from last year. I wanted to ask those of you who practice powerlifting: does it really make sense to use the powerlift belt to support the lumbar area? from how many kg does it make sense to use it? I've read information on the net that say when you lift 70-80% of your body weight. From your experience what do you recommend?

Diotima666 said:
Sorry if I bring up this topic from last year. I wanted to ask those of you who practice powerlifting: does it really make sense to use the powerlift belt to support the lumbar area? from how many kg does it make sense to use it? I've read information on the net that say when you lift 70-80% of your body weight. From your experience what do you recommend?
Depends on your goals. Belts serve a purpose but should not be used as a crutch or used just because.

Look at the bronze era of strongmen. They did not use belts. They strengthened their core, did modern lifts and lifted massive weights without racks(yes, even squats and overhead presses right off the ground) and without belts, straps and performance enhancing drugs.

existentialcrisis said:
Diotima666 said:
Depends on your goals. Belts serve a purpose but should not be used as a crutch or used just because.

Look at the bronze era of strongmen. They did not use belts. They strengthened their core, did modern lifts and lifted massive weights without racks(yes, even squats and overhead presses right off the ground) and without belts, straps and performance enhancing drugs.

The core is very important, the second most important thing after your joints. It's a primary focus on gymnastics strength training, and one of the reasons why gymnasts are among the strongest athletes in the world.

Henu the Great said:
Wotanwarrior said:
1. Yoga asanas strengthen joints and ensure flexibility

2. Appropriate nutritional habits will ensure being in proportional measures

3. Train hard, rest hard.

Not just that. Jumping into strength training before any joints work is the most common mistake of active people in the modern era. A foundation for your joints needs to be laid first by spending 2-3 years working on the several hours a week, combined with lighter forms of strength training (not heavy weightlifting nor bodyweight exercises at the same level).

One needs to be patient and disciplined as nature has its cycles. Joints have their own cycles as well. Simply doing yoga asanas while exerting excessive pressure on the joints doesn't solve the issue long-term. It may feel safe in the moment, but health is something you look at on decades-long cycles. What seems well now, 10-20 years down the line is ruined by bad habits and overtraining.

There's no "it'll be alright" when it comes to the human body, as you don't get a replacement body without reincarnating. So one needs to look after it.

existentialcrisis said:
Diotima666 said:

I always use a belt.. In jail there where a pile of them. Just everyone ran and got one, became a habit.

It will make back muscles perhaps less strong. or just less inclined to use the lower back muscles properly due to bad form whilst using the things.

I still wear mine even for small workouts :lol:

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back