Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Help with Cluster Headaches?

ModernMage

Someone I care deeply about suffers agonizing headaches. Usually behind the right eye. What is the TCM approach to this problem? This individual is very air dominant and a bit of a hot head at times.

Besides TCM are there any other good alternatives to clown world doctors pretty much saying you're SOL, "incurable", or not a clue on how to handle this condition.

ModernMage said:
Someone I care deeply about suffers agonizing headaches. Usually behind the right eye. What is the TCM approach to this problem? This individual is very air dominant and a bit of a hot head at times.

Besides TCM are there any other good alternatives to clown world doctors pretty much saying you're SOL, "incurable", or not a clue on how to handle this condition.

See this link for a full walkthrough on diagnosing headaches: https://www.mayway.com/articles/headache

Basically, you want to look at the location of the headache, plus other symptoms that are involved. This can then point you to the headache is either directly related to organ dysfunction, or from the subsequent buildup of pathogens.

What you describe with this person is likely liver or gallbladder fire. The way to check if this is the case is to push the liver 3 point and see if it is sore or helps resolve the headache. Also, do this for the gallbladder point as well.

Symptoms of liver fire, also known as (pathological) yang rising include splitting headaches, dizziness, thirst, ringing in the ears, congestion feeling near the liver, anger, eye pain. Liver yang rising specifically results in pounding or throbbing feelings, whereas general liver stagnation gives a tightness of the associated areas.

IMG_20200711_073534.jpg

GB-40-44.png

ModernMage said:

Stormblood did recently state, someone should drink everyday 77x body weight in kilogramms = the ml amount of water a day someone should drink (does not apply to very obese people 120kg or more). Please increase slowly, too fast is bad.

Many people with headaches, I know drink to less water. As most of anti headache medicine does thin the blood, one can also eat more garlic, it does also thin the blood (carefull, if the person does take blood thining medicine, or is a bleeder or similar problems). Fresh air/ walks in nature is also helpfull. There is a slight chance of a person having headaches, because of a brain tumor this is rather a 1% chance. But I would have it checked by a doctor, if everything else does not work, also it is good to consult multiple doctors not only one and the same.

Blitzkreig [JG said:
" post_id=319033 time=1643054174 user_id=21286]
ModernMage said:

The headaches are usually an excruciating sharp pain on the right side of the head. Behind the eye.

I've taken them to a TCM clinic, they however did not like it. The practitioner also did cupping. After this treatment later the same day, (around midnight) they again suffered another headache but on the left side. Last period of attack which was about 3 months ago all headaches were on the right side behind the eye.

Said patient is very impatient with practically everything. So having them lay motionless for 30 minutes to an hour seems like a huge deal to them.

This person loves spicy food, is anxious, irritable, and has little to no physical activity outside of work. They have worked exclusively at night for many years.

Their sleep schedule is very poor to almost non existent. Staying up till 3, 4, or even 5 AM and sleeping till 1-2 in the afternoon.

They do however drink plenty of water and hardly anything besides that. Their diet is poor often skipping meals or eating late at night.

ModernMage said:

I’ve heard of this and that it’s extremely debilitating, psychedelic mushrooms have been used in the treatment of this condition with great success and it might still be in the research phase. There are places where this can happen with a doctor. Outside of that, I have no other recommendations for long-term progress and management of this depending on how severe it is. If it’s one of those extreme cases, which is what this is used for, it would be worth looking into because it can be totally life ruining.

From the symptom description, I would say these headaches are due to Liver Yang Rising.

This condition occurs due to insufficient Kidney and Liver Yin not restraining the Yang which then rises up to the head and causes all kinds of problems.

The spicy food and night work is making this condition worse and may have brought it about in the first place if these lifestyle choices have been long term.

Tian Ma Gou Teng Wan is the primary formula for Liver Yang rising headaches and should be coupled with Liu Wei Di Huang Wan to nourish the Kidney Yin.

There are some variations to the second formula required if the patient has extreme hot flushes and general body heat.

ModernMage said:

All these things point towards or will cause, yin deficiency. Now, it has caught up to them, and the liver is in distress because of it. TCM treatments take time and need the cooperation of the patient. Midnight is the time when the liver and gallbladder are most active, therefore it is not surprising the pain started up again at that time.

This person can certainly do other things to treat their condition on their own, but if they have little patience for anything, then they may be out of luck. You should try to convince them that they need to make changes in their lifestyle. If they are willing, then there are certain steps that can take into account their low patience. If they are completely unwilling, however, then there isn't much that can be done.

For example, they could take yin-building herbs, but if they do multiple other things wrong, then the recovery process will be stagnated. See Centralforce's comment for herbal formulas.

Does your friend drink enough water?

I used to have headaches similar to what you have described and it turned out it was because of dehydration. I thought a lot of what could cause my headaches and found some patterns - I had headaches mainly in the summer. Sometimes on a very hot day when the sun is shining, sometimes when I drink few beers or a cup of coffee..

So I adjusted my lifestyle and I don't have headaches no more. It's not like I fully stopped drinking beer or coffee, but I don't drink them on regular basis. But if I drink a cup coffee or anything that have diuretic effect, I drink a cup of water before it.

Majority of people are dehydrated nowadays without even knowing it.

Blitzkreig [JG said:
" post_id=325946 time=1645180725 user_id=21286]
ModernMage said:

For example, they could take yin-building herbs, but if they do multiple other things wrong, then the recovery process will be stagnated. See Centralforce's comment for herbal formulas.

Funny enough I actually had both those formulas from when I was trying to solve my own problems. They are better now but I think this will continue to be a cycling problem till they realize their lifestyle needs to change, along with their perception of reality.

As always thank you for your replies and the compassion you show others.

Neophyte said:
Does your friend drink enough water?

I mentioned already they drink plenty of water. Most people I'm close with I encourage to stop drinking soda and other jew products.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back