Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Smelly farts + thigh pimples

Hearsync

Hello! Looking to get some advice as to how to remove smelly farts and thigh pimples.

For almost two years now I've had problems with really smelly farts. I fart all the time (I'm pretty sure I swallow more air than the regular person), but some days my farts are really, really stinky. I've tried several things... switching and changing my diet around, doing a cleanse with colloidal silver, taking good quality probiotics, drinking fresh ginger tea, and other teas like fennel, cardamom, licorice; putting cinnamon in my porridge in the mornings, taking triphala from time to time, and occasionally (at least once or twice a week) take good quality supplements of B complex, magnesium, zinc, fish oil, omega 3-6-9, vitamin d3. I've found things like onions, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli tend to be the worst, so I try to avoid them (but onions and garlic are so hard to avoid all the time!)
All these methods have left me with either no results or minimal/temporary results. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!

At the same time, about two years ago I also started getting thigh pimples. I've been using a natural tea tree oil based soap bar, keeping my bed sheets clean (I sleep on my stomach), showering before bed, and often spraying ACV + tea tree oil on my thighs before going to sleep. The pimples will sometimes come with a very large red spot, like the size of a quarter sometimes. And then a little white dot I usually pop, clean, and put aloe very on (not sure if I shouldn't be touching them).

In regards to any suggestions/remedies, I have access to purchase herbs, am financially stable to buy whatever is needed, male, in my mid-young 30's, have a healthy, varied diet with minimal processed/junk food, have also had dry eyes for about the past two years, for about 15-20 years dealt with an itchy anus/yeast balanitis (still have problems once in a while, but getting better recently), I sleep well often, have low stress, often have high energy and consistent appetite.

You said you do a cleanse with colloidal silver. Maybe you should do just a general colon cleanse. You can find products for this in the health section of most stores.

Foul smells tend to come from long digestion. The longer something is sitting in the body, it can rot and this is where this can happen. Perhaps you need to just cleanse all this out with a good colon cleanse. During this time, eat really healthy. Plenty of fruits and veggies, healthy proteins, carbs, etc. You should be going to the bathroom two+ times a day while doing this. Really flushing everything out. As well, look into Apple cider vinegar or just eating vinegar based things more often. This can strengthen the acid in the stomach and help with digestion. Pro and probiotics too and fiber supplements. Another thing you could try is digestive enzyme pills. You could be having a problem there as well. In fact if you are having a problem there, you should probably see a doctor. There could be pancreas problems or other serious things.

Also, you didn’t mention your activity levels. It’s a well known fact, exercise can help with the digestion system. You should be exercising on a regular basis.

Centralforce666 said:
Are your pimples on the front, outer or the inner thigh area?

Pimples are on the front of thighs. Also forgot to mention that I tend to get them on my bum / butt cheeks as well sometimes, but not to the extend I get them on the front of my thighs. I will sometimes get them on the back of my thighs, but only on the very upper part that closest to my bum.

Eric13 said:
You said you do a cleanse with colloidal silver. Maybe you should do just a general colon cleanse. You can find products for this in the health section of most stores.

Foul smells tend to come from long digestion. The longer something is sitting in the body, it can rot and this is where this can happen. Perhaps you need to just cleanse all this out with a good colon cleanse. During this time, eat really healthy. Plenty of fruits and veggies, healthy proteins, carbs, etc. You should be going to the bathroom two+ times a day while doing this. Really flushing everything out. As well, look into Apple cider vinegar or just eating vinegar based things more often. This can strengthen the acid in the stomach and help with digestion. Pro and probiotics too and fiber supplements. Another thing you could try is digestive enzyme pills. You could be having a problem there as well. In fact if you are having a problem there, you should probably see a doctor. There could be pancreas problems or other serious things.

Also, you didn’t mention your activity levels. It’s a well known fact, exercise can help with the digestion system. You should be exercising on a regular basis.

I've never done a colon cleanse, but I'll certainly look into it and consider that as an option. I also never considered digestive enzyme pills - my next trip to the health food store I'll see what I can find. In that regard, is there a certain kind or type I should look out for, or are all basically one in the same?

As for activity levels, I often will do 30min of yoga almost every day. Some days I will go for a 15min jog, followed by a 45min workout routine - I was doing this consistently every 3 days or so, but has been far less frequent recently. Pushing myself to get back on that train more, but I do keep up my yoga at least. I recently moved cities, and not working since COVID, but even with my last job I was on my feet all the time moving around and lifting/carrying things, and was still quite active for yoga/jogs/workout on my free time, and but the stinky fart and pimples were still a thing.

Aquarius said:
What's your diet?
Eric13 said:

In the morning I often eat slightly less than a 1/2 cup of organic steel cut oats with various nuts, seeds, and healthy serving of usually 2-3 different fruits, switching between fruits like bananas, papaya, blueberries, tangerines/clementines, melons, grapes, strawberries. I also ensure to eat the papaya and melons seeds raw too. I will often put in organic kefir or probiotic yogurt in with it as well.

I find I can't eat immediately after waking up, and usually eat breakfast around 1-2 hours after waking. Prefer to hydrate first (usually with a glass of ACV in pure orange juice, and another glass of water), have first bowel movement of the day, do yoga, then eat breakfast. I am a slow eater... I like to chew my food thoroughly, but also not a very small eater and prefer a health portion for my meals (mostly breakfast and lunch) so I don't get too hungry too soon after, so it may take me around 45min - 1 hour to finish eating.

For lunch I often have organic or at least a healthy brand of either multigrain or rye bread with eggs, fresh tomatoes, spinach/lettuce, and mayo. This won't be as big of a serving as my breakfast is, and I will finish eating it faster than breakfast. I'll sometimes have leftovers from the previous day's dinner to switch things up. I find that even with the size of breakfast I have, I still get hungry for lunch within 2-3 hours after finishing breakfast. I'll then be good for another 5-7 hours.

As for dinner I'll always have something different... I like to cook and use an array of spices, so I'll make anything from rice / rice noodle / buckwheat noodle, quinoa, millet, the odd wheat noodle dishes with stir-fry, with a mix of different veg. Wild rice pasta dishes (sometimes wheat pasta, but rarely). Other veg based dishes like potatoes and kale, beets, corn, beans, salads, soups... etc. - the list goes. Always doing something different. Will have meat not everyday, but usually a few times a week, and try to always get high quality ethically raised meat. I never eat fast food, and will treat myself maybe once a week or every other week by making my own homemade organic pizza, making the dough from scratch.

For a late night snack, I'll either have leftovers from dinner (not a full dinner sized portion), or will snack on something more light, trying to keep things healthy like organic/non-GMO tortilla chips with hummus, or sometimes salsa.

I consistently have 2-3 bowel movements a day, often never too hard or too soft/loose. A good healthy medium, but will have the odd soft/loose stools every so often, especially if I've taken some triphala. I also like to take a glass of water with psyllium husk before bed every once in a while - maybe once or twice a week. I like to think I'm getting enough fiber in my diet as I almost never experience constipation.

I would like to say I hydrate often enough, usually around 2 liters a day, maybe slightly less some days if I'm busier than normal. Maybe only 1 liter on bad days, but this isn't very often.

I take a good quality probiotic often - most days, but not every day. 20 billion per capsule - 7 different bacteria culture types.

Hearsync said:
Aquarius said:
What's your diet?
Eric13 said:

In the morning I often eat slightly less than a 1/2 cup of organic steel cut oats with various nuts, seeds, and healthy serving of usually 2-3 different fruits, switching between fruits like bananas, papaya, blueberries, tangerines/clementines, melons, grapes, strawberries. I also ensure to eat the papaya and melons seeds raw too. I will often put in organic kefir or probiotic yogurt in with it as well.

I find I can't eat immediately after waking up, and usually eat breakfast around 1-2 hours after waking. Prefer to hydrate first (usually with a glass of ACV in pure orange juice, and another glass of water), have first bowel movement of the day, do yoga, then eat breakfast. I am a slow eater... I like to chew my food thoroughly, but also not a very small eater and prefer a health portion for my meals (mostly breakfast and lunch) so I don't get too hungry too soon after, so it may take me around 45min - 1 hour to finish eating.

For lunch I often have organic or at least a healthy brand of either multigrain or rye bread with eggs, fresh tomatoes, spinach/lettuce, and mayo. This won't be as big of a serving as my breakfast is, and I will finish eating it faster than breakfast. I'll sometimes have leftovers from the previous day's dinner to switch things up. I find that even with the size of breakfast I have, I still get hungry for lunch within 2-3 hours after finishing breakfast. I'll then be good for another 5-7 hours.

As for dinner I'll always have something different... I like to cook and use an array of spices, so I'll make anything from rice / rice noodle / buckwheat noodle, quinoa, millet, the odd wheat noodle dishes with stir-fry, with a mix of different veg. Wild rice pasta dishes (sometimes wheat pasta, but rarely). Other veg based dishes like potatoes and kale, beets, corn, beans, salads, soups... etc. - the list goes. Always doing something different. Will have meat not everyday, but usually a few times a week, and try to always get high quality ethically raised meat. I never eat fast food, and will treat myself maybe once a week or every other week by making my own homemade organic pizza, making the dough from scratch.

For a late night snack, I'll either have leftovers from dinner (not a full dinner sized portion), or will snack on something more light, trying to keep things healthy like organic/non-GMO tortilla chips with hummus, or sometimes salsa.

I consistently have 2-3 bowel movements a day, often never too hard or too soft/loose. A good healthy medium, but will have the odd soft/loose stools every so often, especially if I've taken some triphala. I also like to take a glass of water with psyllium husk before bed every once in a while - maybe once or twice a week. I like to think I'm getting enough fiber in my diet as I almost never experience constipation.

I would like to say I hydrate often enough, usually around 2 liters a day, maybe slightly less some days if I'm busier than normal. Maybe only 1 liter on bad days, but this isn't very often.

I take a good quality probiotic often - most days, but not every day. 20 billion per capsule - 7 different bacteria culture types.

Perhaps you're unknowing mildly intolerant to something in your diet. Do you get cramping?

Hearsync said:
Hello! Looking to get some advice as to how to remove smelly farts and thigh pimples.

For almost two years now I've had problems with really smelly farts. I fart all the time (I'm pretty sure I swallow more air than the regular person), but some days my farts are really, really stinky. I've tried several things... switching and changing my diet around, doing a cleanse with colloidal silver, taking good quality probiotics, drinking fresh ginger tea, and other teas like fennel, cardamom, licorice; putting cinnamon in my porridge in the mornings, taking triphala from time to time, and occasionally (at least once or twice a week) take good quality supplements of B complex, magnesium, zinc, fish oil, omega 3-6-9, vitamin d3. I've found things like onions, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli tend to be the worst, so I try to avoid them (but onions and garlic are so hard to avoid all the time!)
All these methods have left me with either no results or minimal/temporary results. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!

At the same time, about two years ago I also started getting thigh pimples. I've been using a natural tea tree oil based soap bar, keeping my bed sheets clean (I sleep on my stomach), showering before bed, and often spraying ACV + tea tree oil on my thighs before going to sleep. The pimples will sometimes come with a very large red spot, like the size of a quarter sometimes. And then a little white dot I usually pop, clean, and put aloe very on (not sure if I shouldn't be touching them).

In regards to any suggestions/remedies, I have access to purchase herbs, am financially stable to buy whatever is needed, male, in my mid-young 30's, have a healthy, varied diet with minimal processed/junk food, have also had dry eyes for about the past two years, for about 15-20 years dealt with an itchy anus/yeast balanitis (still have problems once in a while, but getting better recently), I sleep well often, have low stress, often have high energy and consistent appetite.

Smelly farts suggests fermentation/putrefaction of your food. White spots in pimples indicates dampness, as does the yest balanitis. Multiple bowel movements with loose stool also suggests digestive troubles. Your spleen is likely weakened. Why do you avoid cauliflower and broccoli? What reaction do you have? They are cooling in nature, but should be good on the rest of the digestive process. This makes me also think that spleen is weak.

When the spleen is weak it has trouble removing dampness from the food and from the body. This can then manifest in the stool, as well as in the bowels themselves, like in the yeast.

The rashes suggest detox problems, but I think it matters exactly the location, hence why CentralForce asked. Dry eyes also suggests liver imbalance.

I think it is possible the liver is overreacting on the spleen, but I am not sure. I don't know how an imbalanced spleen would influence the liver, perhaps by impeding the elimination process.

Your first two meals seem heavy on the raw, cooling, and sweet foods, which can hurt the spleen. Also, hold off on any cleanses, as this could push the liver a bit. Once it is strengthened, it will detox well on its own (especially with yoga and everything else).

Please read this article on a balanced diet. Fruit is fine, but not in that proportion; you should eat more veggies instead, and cook them well. Avoid cold/raw food whenever possible. This applies to the properties of the food, not just temperature, but starting with temperature should help.

It may be hard, but try not to snack late at night. Shift your dinner up an hour so you can have a full rest prior to sleep. This allows the digestive organs to refresh and clean themselves. They are weakest at night and will strain to digest foods.

In addition to the advice above regarding diet, you should probably reduce your water intake.

Your symtpoms are from damp in the stomach and spleen channels (top of the leg) and dampness is dead (stagnant) water inside the body.

Drinking 2L of water a day is contributing to this problem.

Ghost in the Machine said:
Perhaps you're unknowing mildly intolerant to something in your diet. Do you get cramping?

No, I never get cramping. Sometimes will feel a little bloated at times, but I don't get any pain or discomfort from it - and it resides fairly quickly... anywhere from an hour or two up to around a half a day. Never longer than a day.

Blitzkreig said:
Smelly farts suggests fermentation/putrefaction of your food. White spots in pimples indicates dampness, as does the yest balanitis. Multiple bowel movements with loose stool also suggests digestive troubles. Your spleen is likely weakened. Why do you avoid cauliflower and broccoli? What reaction do you have? They are cooling in nature, but should be good on the rest of the digestive process. This makes me also think that spleen is weak.

When the spleen is weak it has trouble removing dampness from the food and from the body. This can then manifest in the stool, as well as in the bowels themselves, like in the yeast.

The rashes suggest detox problems, but I think it matters exactly the location, hence why CentralForce asked. Dry eyes also suggests liver imbalance.

I think it is possible the liver is overreacting on the spleen, but I am not sure. I don't know how an imbalanced spleen would influence the liver, perhaps by impeding the elimination process.

Your first two meals seem heavy on the raw, cooling, and sweet foods, which can hurt the spleen. Also, hold off on any cleanses, as this could push the liver a bit. Once it is strengthened, it will detox well on its own (especially with yoga and everything else).

Please read this article on a balanced diet. Fruit is fine, but not in that proportion; you should eat more veggies instead, and cook them well. Avoid cold/raw food whenever possible. This applies to the properties of the food, not just temperature, but starting with temperature should help.

It may be hard, but try not to snack late at night. Shift your dinner up an hour so you can have a full rest prior to sleep. This allows the digestive organs to refresh and clean themselves. They are weakest at night and will strain to digest foods.

Thank you so much for the response and the insights!

I avoid cauliflower and broccoli because I find they can make me fart more or be more stinky than if I avoid them... although, I did just have some broccoli for dinner yesterday and things have been fine today, so perhaps in the past there may had been something else with the broccoli that was making my farts stink.

In regards to liver imbalance for the dry eyes, can you be more specific on that? Does it mean the liver is too hot/cold, damp/dry? Suggestions on remedies for that? And for the removal of dampness and strengthening the spleen?

I will certainly try things out by consuming less fruit all first things in the morning. I was heating them by adding them to my steel cuts oats after things had cooked, but I'll try adding them in during the cooking process to actually cook them - not just heat/warm them. Will stretch out my fruit portions throughout the day instead of all at once at breakfast. And will certainly take the rest you've mentioned into consideration as well.

Would it still be suggested to, for the time, avoid things like garlic, onions and cabbage that typically tend to make my farts smelly, or should these fine as long as I remedy the dampness and spleen weakness?

Thanks again for the response on all this - it's greatly appreciated!

Centralforce666 said:
In addition to the advice above regarding diet, you should probably reduce your water intake.

Your symtpoms are from damp in the stomach and spleen channels (top of the leg) and dampness is dead (stagnant) water inside the body.

Drinking 2L of water a day is contributing to this problem.

Okay, will do. I'll give this a try! I actually find I enjoy drinking less than that, more like 1L per day - but always thought 2L per day was really the minimum (at least in the summer time when it's hot out, but now that winter's on its way, I don't like drinking as much).

What TCM herbal remedies would you suggest for removing dampness in the stomach and spleen?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that another problem I've been having for some years is off-and-on clear phlegm I will want to cough up or clear from my throat / upper lungs. I've been using Traditional Medicines Breath Easy Tea with Bi Yan Pian and will add dried tangerine peel, which helps temporarily, sometimes for days, but when I stop taking it them phlegm problem returns. Not sure if this is at all connected with any of the aforementioned, but wanted to mention it in case it might be.

Thank you so much for all your help and assistance! Truly appreciate it.

Blitzkreig said:
Centralforce666 said:

Apologies to keep adding things here I keep forgetting about, but I've been reading up on dampness and noticed mention of rashes and eczema. Like the large redness that occurs around the pimples on the front of my thighs and butt cheeks, it was mentioned earlier of that to be a type of rash. In addition to the clear phlegm I've been known to cough up from time-to-time, I will experience eczema every once in a while too. Just recently had some pop up on the back of my head/neck behind my hair... lasted about a week or two but just cleared up earlier this week. I am, however, more prone to experience eczema on my forehead, under my eyebrows, and along the edges of my nose on a more regular basis, and also on my hands predominantly in the winter, including dry lips. Do feel a bit sluggish often and forcing myself to get my yoga and exercise done every day, but not fatigued. I will also occasionally experience heartburn. I really love spicy food... will try to cut down on that. Sounds like this could all be connected to dampness from what I've been reading just now, but potentially some damp-heat in the stomach? And heat in the blood maybe? I'm not sure.

You should start cutting individual elements from your diet and see if the problem persists and if anything changes, this could take weeks. That's how I do it.

Clear phlegm indicates cold phlegm whilst your other symptoms on the skin are more phlegm heat related. Bi Yian Pian is not really syndrome specific to your issue and this is why you're not getting a good and consistent result from it.

The phlegm heat needs to be dealt with using a formula called Wen Dan Tang and this will likely aid in the removal of the cold phlegm also.

Furthermore, spicy food actually helps to break up and move dampness however in excessive amounts it puts alot of heat in the body. Consumed in moderation it will actually help you but avoid strong hot chilli and go for gentle spices such as cumin, coriander and turmeric.

Aquarius said:
You should start cutting individual elements from your diet and see if the problem persists and if anything changes, this could take weeks. That's how I do it.

Thanks. I used to keep a journal of everything I ate every day, but didn't really get hard into eliminating one thing at a time. I should really get back into that. Good practice for journaling in general. I kinda hate journaling lol

Centralforce666 said:
Clear phlegm indicates cold phlegm whilst your other symptoms on the skin are more phlegm heat related. Bi Yian Pian is not really syndrome specific to your issue and this is why you're not getting a good and consistent result from it.

The phlegm heat needs to be dealt with using a formula called Wen Dan Tang and this will likely aid in the removal of the cold phlegm also.

Furthermore, spicy food actually helps to break up and move dampness however in excessive amounts it puts alot of heat in the body. Consumed in moderation it will actually help you but avoid strong hot chilli and go for gentle spices such as cumin, coriander and turmeric.

Thank you again so much, Centralforce! I've started looking into Wen Dan Tang, and it certainly looks like an all-in-one combo for everything I've been experiencing. I'll gladly give it a try and see if it helps!

I have access to a TCM herbal store where I can get whole herbs. In what quantities should I be getting each herb, and instructions for brewing and dosage?

Hearsync said:
Thank you again so much, Centralforce! I've started looking into Wen Dan Tang, and it certainly looks like an all-in-one combo for everything I've been experiencing. I'll gladly give it a try and see if it helps!

I have access to a TCM herbal store where I can get whole herbs. In what quantities should I be getting each herb, and instructions for brewing and dosage?

You need to have:

Zhi Ban Xia (Pinellia Ternata) 15g
Ju Hong (Red Tangerine Peel) 15g
Zhi Shi (Immature Aurantii Fructus) 6g
Zhu Ru (Bumbusae Caulis (bamboo)) 6g
Fu Ling (White Poria Cocos) 9g
Zhi Gan Cao (Honey Fried Licorice Root) 4.5g

Place the dried herbs in several cups of water (enough to cover the herbs and provide sufficient drinking medium) and boil for 20 minutes.

Strain the liquid and drink twice a day away from food (30 minutes before or 1 hour after).

You can boil the same herbs for up to 4 days and then you will need new ones.

Take this for 7 days and then stop for 7 days and see if there is any benefit.

If not, repeat the dosage and frequency as above.

Hearsync said:

The redness on the forehead and edge of nose suggests heat in the stomach and intestines, according to the tcm face map. This is normally from anything heating, such as spices, but also an overabundance of something like meat. Things like gluten from wheat can also irritate the intestines and produce heat within them. If you suspect the grains are too drying, then rice would be a better substitute, although I doubt a piece of bread alone would cause this.

The hunger after the breakfast could be also indicative of stomach heat, although it could also be just from the digestive system being more active earlier. If you seek to introduce more cooling foods in your diet, look towards cooked vegetables, as opposed to fruit, as they will cool without being dampening.

The amount of fruits you were eating was more appropriate for summer, and even then, you would want to space the amount of them out. They were too sugary and cooling to eat at once. I would suggest 1 piece of fruit per day max outside of summer, and perhaps 2 during summer, not at the same time. If you are currently living in a fall, approaching winter, climate, then it is nearing the time where fruit consumption should cease.

The leafy green veggies will aid the liver, which should help the dry eye. The dry eye is something you should continue to monitor and see if that improves. The liver is responsible for nourishing the eyes, but the kidneys are responsible for water regulation, so it could be either. Once you stabilize the diet, you should monitor this and see if it improves. Either way, it is certainly fixable.

I am unsure exactly what liver condition would result in dry eye, but I imagine once the bowel movements and other aspects of the digestion become more normal, the liver will start to stabilize again.

Once your spleen heals, it will start to remove the dampness from the body. The exercise you do also helps the circulation and removal of this dampness, and my guess is that this is what had been counterbalancing the diet for some time.

Blitzkreig said:
Hearsync said:
I am unsure exactly what liver condition would result in dry eye, but I imagine once the bowel movements and other aspects of the digestion become more normal, the liver will start to stabilize again.

Once your spleen heals, it will start to remove the dampness from the body. The exercise you do also helps the circulation and removal of this dampness, and my guess is that this is what had been counterbalancing the diet for some time.

Liver blood and liver yin deficiency usually cause this however poor circulation of liver qi (stagnation) can also cause this issue as is the case here.

Centralforce666 said:
You need to have:

Zhi Ban Xia (Pinellia Ternata) 15g
Ju Hong (Red Tangerine Peel) 15g
Zhi Shi (Immature Aurantii Fructus) 6g
Zhu Ru (Bumbusae Caulis (bamboo)) 6g
Fu Ling (White Poria Cocos) 9g
Zhi Gan Cao (Honey Fried Licorice Root) 4.5g

Place the dried herbs in several cups of water (enough to cover the herbs and provide sufficient drinking medium) and boil for 20 minutes.

Strain the liquid and drink twice a day away from food (30 minutes before or 1 hour after).

You can boil the same herbs for up to 4 days and then you will need new ones.

Take this for 7 days and then stop for 7 days and see if there is any benefit.

If not, repeat the dosage and frequency as above.

Thank you so much! After boiling them, how should they be stored - sealed in a container or ziploc bag, and put in the fridge? Or left out in the open to dry out, and kept that way until needing to boil them again?
Should the herbs be on rapid boil for the 20min, or low simmer?
Is it typical that enough liquid from one boil will last for one day (two servings), and therefor the herbs will be re-used once a day? Or when you say "drink twice a day," I should be boiling the herbs twice a day and drinking everything from each boil in one sitting?

Blitzkreig said:
Hearsync said:

The redness on the forehead and edge of nose suggests heat in the stomach and intestines, according to the tcm face map. This is normally from anything heating, such as spices, but also an overabundance of something like meat. Things like gluten from wheat can also irritate the intestines and produce heat within them. If you suspect the grains are too drying, then rice would be a better substitute, although I doubt a piece of bread alone would cause this.

The hunger after the breakfast could be also indicative of stomach heat, although it could also be just from the digestive system being more active earlier. If you seek to introduce more cooling foods in your diet, look towards cooked vegetables, as opposed to fruit, as they will cool without being dampening.

The amount of fruits you were eating was more appropriate for summer, and even then, you would want to space the amount of them out. They were too sugary and cooling to eat at once. I would suggest 1 piece of fruit per day max outside of summer, and perhaps 2 during summer, not at the same time. If you are currently living in a fall, approaching winter, climate, then it is nearing the time where fruit consumption should cease.

The leafy green veggies will aid the liver, which should help the dry eye. The dry eye is something you should continue to monitor and see if that improves. The liver is responsible for nourishing the eyes, but the kidneys are responsible for water regulation, so it could be either. Once you stabilize the diet, you should monitor this and see if it improves. Either way, it is certainly fixable.

Thanks for all this! I was reading into some of the other symptoms I mentioned, which had referenced potential stomach heat. Was not aware such little fruit would be helpful - always thought 2-3 servings a day was the minimum, but I can see how in my situation this may not be required. I'll reduce my fruit intake to only 1 serving per day and see what happens. I like my veggies, and my leafy greens - but could certainly increase the amount of leafy greens I eat on the regular. Will do that more. And more exercise too.

Centralforce666 said:
Blitzkreig said:
Hearsync said:

Liver blood and liver yin deficiency usually cause this however poor circulation of liver qi (stagnation) can also cause this issue as is the case here.

Would you recommend I take something in addition for liver qi stagnation, as it doesn't look like Wen Dan Tang covers that (or should this improve on its own once the stomach and spleen re-balances)?

Centralforce666 said:
The liver qi stagnation is secondary to the phlegm and dampness and therefore will resolve on its own.

Okay thanks. As for the herbs - after boiling them, how should they be stored? Sealed in a container or ziploc bag, and put in the fridge? Or left out in the open to dry out, and kept that way until needing to boil them again?

Should the herbs be on rapid boil for the 20min, or low simmer?

Is it typical that enough liquid from one boil will last for one day (two servings), and therefor the herbs will be re-used once a day? Or when you say "drink twice a day," I should be boiling the herbs twice a day and drinking everything from each boil in one sitting (meaning they'd be good for 8 boils = x2 per day, for 4 days)?

Cover the herbs with enough water to give you 1 1/2 - 2 serves daily. When the water runs out, replenish it so the herbs remain submerged and then cover the saucepan and put in the fridge once it's cool.

Herbs that are not covered with water or refrigerated will go mouldy.

Centralforce666 said:
Cover the herbs with enough water to give you 1 1/2 - 2 serves daily. When the water runs out, replenish it so the herbs remain submerged and then cover the saucepan and put in the fridge once it's cool.

Herbs that are not covered with water or refrigerated will go mouldy.

Okay, thanks so much!

Haven't had the chance to get any herbs yet, but from just a diet change alone I saw a significant change almost overnight. Cannot thank you all enough for the assistance! Will report back again once I've used to herbs if things have changed any further

Hearsync said:
Haven't had the chance to get any herbs yet, but from just a diet change alone I saw a significant change almost overnight. Cannot thank you all enough for the assistance! Will report back again once I've used to herbs if things have changed any further

Great to hear, thanks for the update.

Centralforce666 said:

Blitzkreig said:

Replying here as an update to the usage of the herbs - Wen Dan Tang recommendation provided here.

I just stopped taking the herbs yesterday. Was recommended each serving of herbs would be good to re-boil for 4 days, so instead of doing 7 days of the herbs, I did 8 days (as I had two separate servings of the herbs).

The entire I was taking the herbs, some symptoms have increased, some have dwindled, some have stayed at par, and a couple new symptoms have arisen - so I wanted to post here to see if this is normal, or if maybe a different set of herbs would be recommended; however, since today is my first day off the herbs, I'll report back after a week to see if things have resolved, but wanted to see what your thoughts were on the new concerns.

Firstly, the loose stools had actually already ended a few weeks prior to taking the herbs, but the rest of the problems had remained. In fact, I was experiencing for a couple days a bit of some constipation (nothing very serious... took some triphala to help with that). Things are steady now. Bowel movements also steady - appx. 2 times / day.

When I started taking the herbs, and literally the entire week, the smelly farts had gotten MUCH worse. Far more stinky, and far more frequent. Only just yesterday is it starting to die down again (but seems to mostly be worst after waking up, or shortly before going to bed.

The front-of thigh & butt cheek pimples were still forming new ones all week. Only today have I noticed no new ones have formed, and, at least, my left thigh is starting to clear up a bit. Hope that continues. But during the week while taking the herbs, had some really big pimples form with big swelling.

Anal itching has been slightly reduced, but still there - mostly only a problem during sleep and immediately after waking up.

Facial dry skin on middle-lower forehead / beneath eyebrows, along sides of nostrils is still there.

Lung phlegm is still there, but not as terrible as it was weeks/months ago. This had also already improved before taking the herbs, so really no change since having taken them. Seems to be at a stand-still now (not getting better, not getting worse).

New symptoms:

Getting random nasal leaking. Just out of the blue, probably several times a day, my nose will just start leaking clear liquidy snot.

Just yesterday noticed what looks like a wart is forming on my finger, just to the left of my top finger knuckle on the middle finger of my right hand.

Diet:

I've followed the TCM dietary recommendations quite rigorously this past week, with either only a 1/2 cup serving of healthy grains max for the entire day, or no grains at all. Max 1/2 - 1 serving of fruit per day, some days none. Eating lots of veggies, all whole foods (nothing processed - unless it's something like brown rice noodles, or some hummus). Have been staying away from all foods that have been listed to contribute to dampness, and increasing foods and herbs/spices to remove dampness.

Exercise:

Just before starting the week of herbs, I fell ice skating and hurt my rib badly. Thought it was broken, but found I had just bruised the rib. Either way, exercise has been basically non-existent as I've been healing. Even tried doing one day of sitting yoga of simply poses that doesn't require turning of the torso, but even that was too much. Have managed a couple of walks - looking to increase that more as I heal, definitely not ideal as I was hoping to have daily yoga along with taking the herbs to ensure smooth flow of energy, etc.

- - - -

So, with that being said, is it normal to experience these new symptoms, or increased preexisting symptoms while taking these herbs? If there's any advice as to what I should do if at a week from now things are the same if I should do another week of the herbs, or perhaps try something else.

Thanks again for any help and assistance!

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back