Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Is MSG dangerous?

Shael

I'm only asking this out of pure curiosity. I heard some people say it's competely harmless, while others say it's really dangerous. What do you guys think about it?

There is controversy. Some sayin safe or whatever, but it really comes down to doses, IMO from the evidence, which is highly conflicting.

Basically msg is found naturally in foods. The doses in these cases is perfectly safe and it’s natural. When it comes to having it in processed foods, this is where I’d be weary and would avoid. There’s evidence of it being a neurotoxin in high doses and having other negative effects too.

Here's the FDA's stance on it: https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/questions-and-answers-monosodium-glutamate-msg
Based on the current evidence, it is considered generally safe. MSG is found in natural food sources, like tomatoes. Originally MSG was taken advantage of in Japanese sea-weed broths to make food taste better. Think of it as like a condiment.

People before complained of the "MSG symptoms," like a tight, burning feeling on the face--this was investigated and they didn't find a link between MSG and asthma exacerbations. The flaw is that there's scant on this, so this doesn't indicate an answer.

Another study states that they found little to no effect on MSG's effects on the human's gut flora.

The studies that suggest it's the cause of some disease or cause defects to the fetus, are conducted on lab rats; these authors call for more research on MSG's effects on humans.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back