Is omeprazole a dangerous drug?

For Discussion about Health, Well-being, Traditional Remedies, and much more.
Young Faith

Is omeprazole a dangerous drug?

Post by Young Faith »

Hello fellow SS, does anyone of you know omeprazole? I am very young (21yo) and my doctor gave it to me because I often feel a lot of acid in my stomach and get gastroesophageal reflux, and since I started taking it, it seems like it's working. I don't feel acid no more even when eating unhealthy.
Now, the problem is that my "new age" grandparents and father, as soon as I told them that I am taking omeprazole, told me that it's a dangerous medicine. Basically they told me about an american study which you can read about it in this article here: https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/ne ... atal-risks
THURSDAY, June 6, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- People who use common heartburn drugs for months to years may face heightened risks of dying from heart disease, kidney failure or stomach cancer, a new study suggests.

The study included more than 200,000 U.S. veterans. It's the latest to raise concerns over drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). They include prescription and over-the-counter drugs like Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole). And they rank among the top-selling medications in the United States.

Research in recent years has linked prolonged PPI use to increased risks of various diseases and premature death.

These latest findings point to the specific causes of death tied to the drugs, said lead researcher Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly.

He stressed that the excess risks were relatively small. For example, over 10 years, 13% of PPI users died of a cardiovascular condition, including heart disease or stroke. That compared with just over 11% of people who used H2 blockers, another class of heartburn drug.

When the researchers weighed other factors -- such as patients' age and chronic health conditions -- PPI use was tied to a roughly 18% higher risk of cardiovascular death.
As we all know, new age stuff isn't to be trusted, but this seems pretty worrying. I have to say that my doctor told me to take omeprazole not for longer than 2 months, initially she told me 1 month if I remember well, so it's not a lot of time, but still, I don't feel safe. My mom has been taking it for years, but only 3 months per year, while a friend of mine had to take it for 4 months when he was 16yo due to a very urgent disease which I forgot the name. Both my mom and my friend are alive and well, but eh, a lot of people vaccinated from covid are alive and "well" as well, so...

What do you think brothers and sisters in Satan?

Another article about this type of drugs:
https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/diges ... e-research
Pro JS Final RTR Online: http://final-rtr-js.epizy.com/ (site sometimes might get suspended for 24hrs)
You can also download it for Windows, Mac or Linux here: http://mw800a.altervista.org/final_rtr_js/
Hail Satan! 666
Aquarius

Re: Is omeprazole a dangerous drug?

Post by Aquarius »

Instead of taking medicines that only cover the problem you should try and understand what is causing your acid problem.
Many people I know about complain about acid reflux and well, no shit, they consume the most unhealthy foods constantly.
Look into your diet, when I cut off most processed foods I''ve never had anymore trouble with acid reflux.
winragefilled666

Post by winragefilled666 »

Young Faith wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm
Any chemical drug for reflux is harmful any will cause dependancy on it long term, along with weakening your digestion semi-permanently as long as you take them. Take note the feeling of acid is not necesarilly too much acid but can be a sign of too little acid as well.

For actual solution improve your diet and maybe look into chinese medicine or other holistic healing modalities. In general, chinese medicine sees reflux as stomach/liver heat, qi stagnation and reversed stomach qi flow. Exercise may also help if the cause is stagnation. Green barley might also be helpful for stagnation + heat (might be too cooling if you have a weak constitution). Blitzkrieg here might advise you more, or visit a practicioner.

If you just want a band aid that is not damaging, try slippery elp.
Centralforce666

Post by Centralforce666 »

Omeprazole magnesium is one of the worst drugs you can take long term.

Unfortunately much of the research on its use was very short term and even so the success rate was only around 40%.

Adverse effects over the long term (the type of use most commonly suggested) is an increased risk of osteoporosis due to its calcium absorption blocking effects in the gut, indigestion and other nutritional Deficiencies.

It also acts on the histamine pathway in the stomach producing excessive histamine which builds up systemically and causes a secondary hayfever.

My advice is change your diet, look into herbal remedies for Stomach Yin Deficiency and AVOID this drug except for very short term use.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want a peaceful life, prepare for war
Jax911

Post by Jax911 »

Young Faith wrote:
Again, if you got any digestion problems, do the Intestinal Massage of the Chi Self Massage that I've posted here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56592
On top of my kidney problems, I've had stagnation since childhood and refluxes for some years. The chi self massage helped me with this.
"Care for yourself first, then for your household and at last care for your state."
"A sane mind comes from a healthy body."
-Genghis Khan
That you, my Fuhrer, stand next to me!
Hail Satan
Hail Agares
Young Faith

Post by Young Faith »

Centralforce666 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:14 am
...My advice is change your diet, look into herbal remedies for Stomach Yin Deficiency and AVOID this drug except for very short term use.
I was going to use it for very short term anyway, but now I'm even more convinced. Today is the 9th day taking it. About my diet, I don't think that it's unhealthy. Not compared to other people's diets at least, who don't suffer from this problem. I suffered from reflux even after eating a literal legume soup. I suffered horrible reflux pains after drinking only one glass (alcoholic) apple cider. My mother has chronic gastritis so she might as well gave me a predisposition to suffer from stomachaches by genetics.

In any case, thank you all for the suggestions, do you have any clear healthy alternative to omeprazole to suggest me?
Pro JS Final RTR Online: http://final-rtr-js.epizy.com/ (site sometimes might get suspended for 24hrs)
You can also download it for Windows, Mac or Linux here: http://mw800a.altervista.org/final_rtr_js/
Hail Satan! 666
hailourpeople

Post by hailourpeople »

Young Faith wrote:
Hello fellow SS, does anyone of you know omeprazole? I am very young (21yo) and my doctor gave it to me because I often feel a lot of acid in my stomach and get gastroesophageal reflux, and since I started taking it, it seems like it's working. I don't feel acid no more even when eating unhealthy.
Now, the problem is that my "new age" grandparents and father, as soon as I told them that I am taking omeprazole, told me that it's a dangerous medicine. Basically they told me about an american study which you can read about it in this article here: https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/ne ... atal-risks
THURSDAY, June 6, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- People who use common heartburn drugs for months to years may face heightened risks of dying from heart disease, kidney failure or stomach cancer, a new study suggests.

The study included more than 200,000 U.S. veterans. It's the latest to raise concerns over drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). They include prescription and over-the-counter drugs like Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole). And they rank among the top-selling medications in the United States.

Research in recent years has linked prolonged PPI use to increased risks of various diseases and premature death.

These latest findings point to the specific causes of death tied to the drugs, said lead researcher Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly.

He stressed that the excess risks were relatively small. For example, over 10 years, 13% of PPI users died of a cardiovascular condition, including heart disease or stroke. That compared with just over 11% of people who used H2 blockers, another class of heartburn drug.

When the researchers weighed other factors -- such as patients' age and chronic health conditions -- PPI use was tied to a roughly 18% higher risk of cardiovascular death.
As we all know, new age stuff isn't to be trusted, but this seems pretty worrying. I have to say that my doctor told me to take omeprazole not for longer than 2 months, initially she told me 1 month if I remember well, so it's not a lot of time, but still, I don't feel safe. My mom has been taking it for years, but only 3 months per year, while a friend of mine had to take it for 4 months when he was 16yo due to a very urgent disease which I forgot the name. Both my mom and my friend are alive and well, but eh, a lot of people vaccinated from covid are alive and "well" as well, so...

What do you think brothers and sisters in Satan?

Another article about this type of drugs:
https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/diges ... e-research
You need to acidify the stomach with for example apple vinegar. You have reflux because your ph in stomach is too high. Your stomach needs ph around 2. When its too high inferior sphincter in the stomach opens and the acid flows to your esophagus. But before you acidify your stomach, you need to have gastroscopy beacuse you can have for example stomach ulcers or gastritis. I had duodenal ulcers for 1 year and still have them so I am well educated in topic. Research how sphincter in stomach works. Hope it helps. I used google translate to write this.
Thanks in advance to all helpful SS :)
hailourpeople

Post by hailourpeople »

Omeprazol makes ph of acid so high, that its almost like water. so you still have reflux but simply dont feel it, after you take it. If you have gastritis message me, I will tell you how to cure this without taking chemical shit. I learned from my mistakes and internet over a year a lot. 8ut you first have to make gastroscopy
Young Faith

Post by Young Faith »

hailourpeople wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm
Omeprazol makes ph of acid so high, that its almost like water. so you still have reflux but simply dont feel it, after you take it. If you have gastritis message me, I will tell you how to cure this without taking chemical shit. I learned from my mistakes and internet over a year a lot. 8ut you first have to make gastroscopy
Oof I really hoped I could avoid a gastroscopy. Before that I wanna see what'll happen after I completely stop taking it.
Hail Satan! 666
hailourpeople

Post by hailourpeople »

Young Faith wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am
hailourpeople wrote:
Oof I really hoped I could avoid a gastroscopy. Before that I wanna see what'll happen after I completely stop taking it.
You have to stop taking it for 2 weeks before gastroscopy. Gastroscopy isnt as scary as it seems to be. Its very quick, like 2-3mins and all you have to do is taking deep breaths.
Young Faith

Post by Young Faith »

hailourpeople wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:29 pm
Young Faith wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am
hailourpeople wrote:
You have to stop taking it for 2 weeks before gastroscopy. Gastroscopy isnt as scary as it seems to be. Its very quick, like 2-3mins and all you have to do is taking deep breaths.
Today I officialy stopped taking it, let's see how it goes
The best case scenario is not having reflux anymore at all
Hail Satan! 666