Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Question on meat ratio in dry cat food

Bravery666

Long story short the cat food I give my cats, Acana, has recently came out with new kibble that is replacing their original recipe. The problem with this is that the amount of meat in their products is going down from 85% to 65-75%. I noticed with my cats that they are much more hungrier when eating the 65% products, so I am wondering if the amount of meat corellates with hunger. Now to add to that is that my one cat is on a diet bc he is overweight; however both cats are hungry when I feed them the recommended amount for their weight. Another thing to is that I found that my overweight cat's fur is more matte rather then smooth.

Bravery666 said:
Long story short the cat food I give my cats, Acana, has recently came out with new kibble that is replacing their original recipe. The problem with this is that the amount of meat in their products is going down from 85% to 65-75%. I noticed with my cats that they are much more hungrier when eating the 65% products, so I am wondering if the amount of meat corellates with hunger. Now to add to that is that my one cat is on a diet bc he is overweight; however both cats are hungry when I feed them the recommended amount for their weight. Another thing to is that I found that my overweight cat's fur is more matte rather then smooth.

Hunger could correlate with the protein content, but I also think the flavor additives are more to blame. Some brands aren't as shitty as others, which can explain the differences. The flavor additive is that powdery crap they put all over the kibble balls. The kibble itself is just random ingredients they put together (normally way too many carbs, poor protein choice, and other unnatural-to-cat ingredients like veggies/fruits) then they nuke the shit out of it when they cook it. They then spray a flavor additive on top, just like Doritos and other junk food has. This flavor additive is addictive on human foods, let alone pet food products.

The average cat food brand is pretty terrible; it is like the equivalent of McDonald's for humans. Unfortunately, the better quality brands also cost more. You will notice they have all around better ingredients and compositions. Some even organic or cage-free meat options. I think if you spend a little more than the base products you can get a decently quality food without breaking the bank.

As far as your cat's fur composition, this can be due to the cat's constitution. If you think it is unhealthy or lusterless, this can be due to the diet. It is likely also due to dehydration. Cat's normally get their water from their prey itself, not from water bowls. So while they do drink out of the dish, their actual thirst drive is not strong enough to fully quench them. This results in chronic, low-level dehydration in cats. The solution to this is wet food. I have found that the most basic wet food, due to its nature, still has a decent ingredient composition and meat percentage, compared to dry food. This could therefore solve both problems at once.

Lastly, you will want to change your cat's feeding arrangement to a slow-feeder option. You can find some bowls on Amazon that are pretty good, and there are versions you can craft at home. One example is to use an egg carton, then slowly reduce the amount of food in it so it gets harder for them to eat fast. You can then work your way up to puzzle feeders that require the cat to perform more complicated actions.

Your cat will whine, at first, when switched to a more work-intensive feeding arrangement, but all cats will adjust, especially when they get hungry enough. Puzzle/slow feeders promote the natural hunt for food that both cats and dogs used to normally have. These feeding arrangements help treat depression, boredom, digestive issues, obesity, etc because they make the cat work for its food and allow their stomach's time to accept food over a more natural interval.

Btw, don't forget to clean their aura's. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to do this, instead just take a few minutes when you would otherwise be spending time with them.

You should be feeding your cat canned cat food or raw meat only.

Unless of course you want your cat to end up with medical problems.

They need crunchies too to simulate bones if you do go canned.

Temptations treats are OK.

of the true light said:

So if I would go the route of canned goods / raw meat, and canned goods mostly. What would be a good ratio of canned food / kibble? 80 canned / 20 kibble?

Henu the Great said:
of the true light said:

So if I would go the route of canned goods / raw meat, and canned goods mostly. What would be a good ratio of canned food / kibble? 80 canned / 20 kibble?
No kibble.

I had my last cat on that diet and she lived 23 years.

Never had to take her to the vet once.

of the true light said:
Henu the Great said:
of the true light said:

No kibble.

Oh, so I misunderstood your post. What are crunchies? I thought you meant kibble by that.

Henu the Great said:
of the true light said:
Henu the Great said:
No kibble.

Oh, so I misunderstood your post. What are crunchies? I thought you meant kibble by that.
Temptations treats.

of the true light said:
Temptations treats.
Ok, thanks. I don't have a cat, but I would like to have in the future so I'm finding out info little by little so I would be a good pet owner later on.

Henu the Great said:
of the true light said:
Temptations treats.
Ok, thanks. I don't have a cat, but I would like to have in the future so I'm finding out info little by little so I would be a good pet owner later on.

A good site to read is catinfo.org. Made by a vet fed up with the clownworld practices used today. It should answer the majority of questions you have, as far as health goes. I don't know if they mention this on the site or not, but don't forget the use of puzzle/play feeders, which will go a long way in stimulating your cat and preventing emotional issues.

Blitzkreig said:
A good site to read is catinfo.org. Made by a vet fed up with the clownworld practices used today. It should answer the majority of questions you have, as far as health goes. I don't know if they mention this on the site or not, but don't forget the use of puzzle/play feeders, which will go a long way in stimulating your cat and preventing emotional issues.
Thanks a lot.

Blitzkreig said:
Henu the Great said:
of the true light said:
Temptations treats.

That site is where I learned about it but I couldn't remember the sites name because it had been so long.

Thanks.

Not sure about the ratio.

But on the old Yahoo forum, HPS Maxine put out a recipe for dry cat food.

HPS Shannon recommended a brand for cats a few years back. Not sure if it still a viable option.

Cat Food Brands and Options
https://ancient-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=691

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back