Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Raw pet food diets

Serpentine

I was looking to see what others thought of the raw pet foods.

To share my own opinions, I really like them.

We switched a few months ago to an AAFCO certified Pre made raw diet and I’ve been really loving it. Especially with the information out on DCM getting off of kibble and canned food was very important to us.

I went down the home cooked route, took a class through a certified nutritionalist and herbalist and they taught me a lot about the benefits of raw food and cooked food. To insure we had a balanced homemade meal was just overwhelming for me and my pets we’re not thriving on it.

Now that we are on all Premade raw everyone is doing great!! Their diet included bone and organ and is nutritionally balanced.

I see a lot of back lash on the Internet for raw diets people seem to either hate them or love them.

So what’s others opinions on these diets?

I remember my grandparents started giving their dogs the B.A.R.F. diet.... And one dog in particular, American Bulldog, was having large tumours grow on him and was told he had like 5 months to live, they started giving them that diet and he lived I want to say at least 6-7 more years!.. so they had positive experience from it and im sure it's way healthier than standard dry feed.

Not sure about the diet for dogs but for humans raw food is not good.

Goldenglazed666 said:
I remember my grandparents started giving their dogs the B.A.R.F. diet.... And one dog in particular, American Bulldog, was having large tumours grow on him and was told he had like 5 months to live, they started giving them that diet and he lived I want to say at least 6-7 more years!.. so they had positive experience from it and im sure it's way healthier than standard dry feed.

I’m so happy to hear that!!:) how old was the dog when diagnosis?

Our kitty couldn’t keep food down, threw up after almost every meal, switch to raw and since we’ve only had a couple of hair balls.

They put all kinds of garbage into that dried dog food. Soy, garbage scraps of ground up old farm animals, like I mean parts that shouldn't be eaten, sometimes even piles of euthanized old pets! With the chemicals still in them. It all goes in the same grinder, you'll never notice the difference, they say. Then all kinds of synthetic flavors and more chemicals. Many of them getting recalled for having toxic high levels of vitamin D.

I would only trust Blue Buffalo, unless there's other companies doing the same thing now.

Ol argedco luciftias said:
They put all kinds of garbage into that dried dog food. Soy, garbage scraps of ground up old farm animals, like I mean parts that shouldn't be eaten, sometimes even piles of euthanized old pets! With the chemicals still in them. It all goes in the same grinder, you'll never notice the difference, they say. Then all kinds of synthetic flavors and more chemicals. Many of them getting recalled for having toxic high levels of vitamin D.

I would only trust Blue Buffalo, unless there's other companies doing the same thing now.

I’ve always been against Blue buffalo, they are much to expensive for what they claim and have had a lawsuit for misrepresenting ingredients if I remember properly.

Are you familiar with the FDA reporting on CDM in dogs?

For kibble I have a long list of kibbles I avoid, currently I’d stay away from grain free foods that are heavy in legumes. I recall Maxine even stating that grain was okay for dogs and from the nutritional class I took confirms this. The main issues with grain in dog (and human) diets is the quality of the grain.

One of my favorite kibble brands is Solid Gold, and for a budget Victor. Actually after looking at it Victor does not have sodium selenite in it which is considered a red flag ingredient and selenium yeast is something I typically look for in a dog food. Also watch out for foods heavy in peas, pea protein, lentils and potatoes.

Ol argedco luciftias said:

The Vitamine D recall was good ol science diet. I really don’t like this brand at all and the majority of vets unfortunately recommend it.

Aquarius said:
Not sure about the diet for dogs but for humans raw food is not good.

I agree with this 100% lol people should not be eating raw meat. Dog have stronger stomach acid that can digest raw bone and shorter digestive tracts which make it safer to ingest animal organs. Since the shorter digestive tract means quicker digestion.

This is also why dogs will poop out whole undigested veggies and fruits since those take longer to digest.

As long as you include bones and organs, it's ok. It's bad just giving the muscle meat to the cats and dogs, because meat doesn't contain everything they need. They need bones and entrails to get important nutrients.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back