Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

How to handle aggrressive dog

Little Wolf

Hi, everyone!
I have a female dog. She's a mongrel. I've had her for 3 years now. About a year ago, I adopted a small cihuahua. They seemed to get along pretty well. They play together, sleep together with me, but sometimes they fight over food or toy. One day, they got into a fight and the cihuahua sadly died of heart attack.
After that, my dog seemed to be more aggressive towards other dog. I adopted a new female mixed beagle and cihuahua into the family, it's been 3 months. They did not get along. I tried many things to make my older dog to get calm and be more "social", just like dogs doing dog things.
Last week they got into a fight and the younger dog got broken bones. I already took her to the vet and get her surgery. But this leaves me into the desperate state. I started to get scared that my dog is dangerous. Has anyone know how to handle an aggressive dog?
Thank's in advance for your response

Little Wolf said:
Hi, everyone!
I have a female dog. She's a mongrel. I've had her for 3 years now. About a year ago, I adopted a small cihuahua. They seemed to get along pretty well. They play together, sleep together with me, but sometimes they fight over food or toy. One day, they got into a fight and the cihuahua sadly died of heart attack.
After that, my dog seemed to be more aggressive towards other dog. I adopted a new female mixed beagle and cihuahua into the family, it's been 3 months. They did not get along. I tried many things to make my older dog to get calm and be more "social", just like dogs doing dog things.
Last week they got into a fight and the younger dog got broken bones. I already took her to the vet and get her surgery. But this leaves me into the desperate state. I started to get scared that my dog is dangerous. Has anyone know how to handle an aggressive dog?

When you brought home the new dog, did you introduce them too quickly? Also, its unfortunate to say that some dogs will not get along with each other. It also deals with the temperament of the dog. Ive met cat who just dont get along with other cats.

Is the bigger dog naturally aggressive in general?

Does the dog have any of the pit bull-type breeds or Rottweiler in them? Those breeds can have unique problems with aggression and violence.

HPS Shannon said:
Little Wolf said:
Hi, everyone!

When you brought home the new dog, did you introduce them too quickly? Also, its unfortunate to say that some dogs will not get along with each other. It also deals with the temperament of the dog. Ive met cat who just dont get along with other cats.

Is the bigger dog naturally aggressive in general?

When I brought her home, I put her (the younger dog) in the yard, then I put her in a cage, but inside the house. I did research on how to handle aggrressive dogs, it worked for sometime, but still the older dogs attack when I start doing something and I did not watch them carefully.
I personally did not believe that dogs do not get along with each other because mammals are naturally live in packs. But after watching my dog like this, I can't lie to myself that I do have this scary feelings in my heart.
My dogs are aggressive towards cats, rats (she hunted pest rats in the house), she hunts lizards also sometimes. But with another dog, I would say she's just having social anxiety or something. She went well with the first cihuahua, the heart attack was unfortunate and an accident, I do not believe she tried to kill her. She did not even sleep in my room for weeks after the small cihuahua died. (We slept together in my room).

How would you feel if someone you don't know moved into your house one day and you couldn't do anything to stop them? Your home is your dog's home too, she is very protective of this.

The dog must be anxious, about a new animal presence in the house. I think that the dogs need to be re-introduced to each other, this time carefully step-by-step to correct any agressive behaviour in the dog and show it that there is another way of reacting and being with the new family dogs: being calm and friendly around them (and not agressive).

If you ask me, I would suggest you to look into Cesar Milan's videos/books on how it is done. Have you looked into them?

Ol argedco luciftias said:
How would you feel if someone you don't know moved into your house one day and you couldn't do anything to stop them? Your home is your dog's home too, she is very protective of this.

My dog does not bite people. I believe she understand that "humans" are basically just like her owner. She respects.
She only bites other dogs.
She usually just bark and if the guests calm down, she just sat down and calm down too

Malin_Baze said:
The dog must be anxious, about a new animal presence in the house. I think that the dogs need to be re-introduced to each other, this time carefully step-by-step to correct any agressive behaviour in the dog and show it that there is another way of reacting and being with the new family dogs: being calm and friendly around them (and not agressive).

If you ask me, I would suggest you to look into Cesar Milan's videos/books on how it is done. Have you looked into them?

I did Cesar Millan marathon and it worked for a while. She was actually willing to share the home (not claiming anymore) but she's still claiming her favorit spot to hang.
I guess I push her to hard. after she is willing to share the home with her little sister, I push her to be "friends" with the younger dog but she refused
Now because they're relationship is minus I need to get even more slower introducing them anymore.
This has gone better so far, but I still saw the anxiety on my dog's face when the younger dog gets exciting and running around. My dog licked her face. That's a sign of anxiety and I know it will end up in aggression. So I still need more time before I can put them together again freely

Little Wolf said:

My dog does not bite people. I believe she understand that "humans" are basically just like her owner. She respects.
She usually just bark and if the guests calm down, she just sat down and calm down too
That's what I mean, the other dog she doesn't know moved into her house and her territory was invaded.

Animals can feel people's energy. If people are happy dogs are happy, and if people are scared the dog is scared too and then it could be upset or bite. If she feels you being worried that the dogs won't have a happy meeting then that could make the dog more worried too.

Little Wolf said:

That's what I mean, the other dog she doesn't know moved into her house and her territory was invaded.

Animals can feel people's energy. If people are happy dogs are happy, and if people are scared the dog is scared too and then it could be upset or bite. If she feels you being worried that the dogs won't have a happy meeting then that could make the dog more worried too.

It's true. She's an alpha. The younger dog is kind of fancy her but scared of her. That's why she feel even more powerful

Little Wolf said:
Little Wolf said:

It's true. She's an alpha. The younger dog is kind of fancy her but scared of her. That's why she feel even more powerful

Oh my god, please coming form an experienced dog trainer and one who has worked with and owns an “aggressive” dog

DO NOT FOLLOW CEASER MILLAN.

This man is a horrible human being and what he does to dogs is disgusting.

Corrective and dominance training can be extremely harmful to our pet.

I don’t even know where to start.

First off dogs can be very prone to same sex aggression and two females may be more likely to fight. Second off what you are describing is called resource guarding it is very normal in dogs and it a sign of insecurity.

Please never scruff, hit, pinch, or flank (that tsst this CM does) it is cruel and unnecessary.

I don’t know where you are currently with your situation but I’d start by managing the environment. No chews or toys left down, feeding in separate areas, just please do not support CM.

He shuts dogs down. He abuses dogs and has a team to set them off for good shows. Learn how to read a dogs body langue and rewatch that asshole.

The submissive dog is a shut down dog. His training represses dogs which can cause even more issues down the line.

Please look into Kikopop, Zak George, Karen Pyron, Susan Garret, Ian Dunbar

Look Into Humane methods, BAT, Counter conditioning, clicker training

Hell I’ll post again with links but I don’t want to lose this current comment.

Ceaser Millians dominance training is outdated, scientifically prove unnecessary, harsh and he’s a damn tv star before he’s an actual trainer.

Little Wolf said:
Malin_Baze said:

I did Cesar Millan marathon and it worked for a while. She was actually willing to share the home (not claiming anymore) but she's still claiming her favorit spot to hang.
I guess I push her to hard. after she is willing to share the home with her little sister, I push her to be "friends" with the younger dog but she refused
Now because they're relationship is minus I need to get even more slower introducing them anymore.
This has gone better so far, but I still saw the anxiety on my dog's face when the younger dog gets exciting and running around. My dog licked her face. That's a sign of anxiety and I know it will end up in aggression. So I still need more time before I can put them together again freely

Links
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9490176/amp

https://m.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2009/march/why-veterinary-behaviorists-cant-stand-cesar-millan-6741

http://beyondcesarmillan.weebly.com

https://www.clickertraining.com

http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html

https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/counter-conditioning_a_dog_to_blowing_in_face/

^Great Video explanation

https://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/

Book recommendations

Don’t shoot the dog by Karen Pryor

Reaching the animal mind Karen Pryor
^^^great..no Amazing book^^^

Cautious Canine by Patrica McConnel

Mine! By Jean Donaldson
^a practical guide to resource guarding

I hope this was enough information, I can post more, videos included. I’ve considered making my own videos but am unsure even if I did if I could post them here for the safety of my identity.

Regardless please ask away if you have any questions.

Links
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9490176/amp

https://m.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2009/march/why-veterinary-behaviorists-cant-stand-cesar-millan-6741

http://beyondcesarmillan.weebly.com

https://www.clickertraining.com

http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html

https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/counter-conditioning_a_dog_to_blowing_in_face/

^Great Video explanation

https://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/

Book recommendations

Don’t shoot the dog by Karen Pryor

Reaching the animal mind Karen Pryor
^^^great..no Amazing book^^^

Cautious Canine by Patrica McConnel

Mine! By Jean Donaldson
^a practical guide to resource guarding

I hope this was enough information, I can post more, videos included. I’ve considered making my own videos but am unsure even if I did if I could post them here for the safety of my identity.

Regardless please ask away if you have any questions.[/quote]

Thank you soo much! I've also been relearning my dog's personality and trying my best to respect that
She doesn't like to be pushed.
I'm separating them two but still letting them seeing each other. Sometimes I let them be free together in one place just to sit together and hang together. The aggressive behavior has reduced.
I really hope they can be sisters one day. They're all my children after all ❤

Little Wolf said:
Thank you soo much! I've also been relearning my dog's personality and trying my best to respect that
I'm separating them two but still letting them seeing each other. Sometimes I let them be free together in one place just to sit together and hang together. The aggressive behavior has reduced.

I’m sure she’ll come around, I adopted a young puppy that turned dog aggressive at 3 months old, with intense management now (3 years later) she is 100% trust worthy to be left with my other dogs and we have started trying to crack down more on strange dogs.

I can give you some pointers for your situation if you can answer a few questions for me

1)How old and what breed are your dogs?
2)How long has this been an issue?
3)What is your current routine with the dogs?
4)How often are they walked? Can they walk together?
5)Has punishment based training been used with them at any point?
6)What is your feeding routine?
7)Do you have other people in the house to help you?

Sleepy said:
Little Wolf said:

Oh my god, please coming form an experienced dog trainer and one who has worked with and owns an “aggressive” dog

DO NOT FOLLOW CEASER MILLAN.

This man is a horrible human being and what he does to dogs is disgusting.

Corrective and dominance training can be extremely harmful to our pet.

I don’t even know where to start.

First off dogs can be very prone to same sex aggression and two females may be more likely to fight. Second off what you are describing is called resource guarding it is very normal in dogs and it a sign of insecurity.

Please never scruff, hit, pinch, or flank (that tsst this CM does) it is cruel and unnecessary.

I don’t know where you are currently with your situation but I’d start by managing the environment. No chews or toys left down, feeding in separate areas, just please do not support CM.

He shuts dogs down. He abuses dogs and has a team to set them off for good shows. Learn how to read a dogs body langue and rewatch that asshole.

The submissive dog is a shut down dog. His training represses dogs which can cause even more issues down the line.

Please look into Kikopop, Zak George, Karen Pyron, Susan Garret, Ian Dunbar

Look Into Humane methods, BAT, Counter conditioning, clicker training

Hell I’ll post again with links but I don’t want to lose this current comment.

Ceaser Millians dominance training is outdated, scientifically prove unnecessary, harsh and he’s a damn tv star before he’s an actual trainer.

You're right. My dog is insecure and anxious. She's anxious around people and she doesn't like being in the crowd.

Sleepy said:
Little Wolf said:

I’m sure she’ll come around, I adopted a young puppy that turned dog aggressive at 3 months old, with intense management now (3 years later) she is 100% trust worthy to be left with my other dogs and we have started trying to crack down more on strange dogs.

I can give you some pointers for your situation if you can answer a few questions for me

1. 3 yrs old and she's a mixbreed. The younger one is also a mix cihuahua and beagle
2. Before this, my dog handle other dogs pretty well I guess, she used to live with her father, now separated. And she used to have little sister (died of accident)my mom got mad after the accident and she beated her. And now she's getting more anxious (this is my assumption). My dog (just call her M) and her new sister (just call her D), has been together since October
3. Now I put then together inside the house but I put one in a cage, if D is in the cage, then M is outside, and the other way around. They sleep together in my room. D is in a cage
4. They used to walk together but since my dog is getting more aggressive, they can't walk together anymore. I rarely get them walk. My country is one of the largest moslem country (they hate dogs). Now is the month or ramadhan. I did not take them outside at all. I'm afraid people are getting more religious at these kind of time
5. Punishment did not work at my dog. She's a stubborn. The more I punish the more she's being aggresive. I did punish like CM did in the past. Now I did not punish as much to make her calmer. If she attack, I just let her sleep outside of my room for a day or a couple of days.
6. I feed them twice a day in the morning and afternoon
7. I live with my mom and dad but they do not home all of the time. I take care of them most of the times
I've been seeking professional (a friend of mine). He sometimes trained police dogs but he's very busy and live quite far from my home. I'm currently just separating them that way (one in cage and one is not) until I see my dog calmer or until my friend have a time to visit them

Little Wolf said:
Sleepy said:
Little Wolf said:

1. 3 yrs old and she's a mixbreed. The younger one is also a mix cihuahua and beagle
2. Before this, my dog handle other dogs pretty well I guess, she used to live with her father, now separated. And she used to have little sister (died of accident)my mom got mad after the accident and she beated her. And now she's getting more anxious (this is my assumption). My dog (just call her M) and her new sister (just call her D), has been together since October
3. Now I put then together inside the house but I put one in a cage, if D is in the cage, then M is outside, and the other way around. They sleep together in my room. D is in a cage
4. They used to walk together but since my dog is getting more aggressive, they can't walk together anymore. I rarely get them walk. My country is one of the largest moslem country (they hate dogs). Now is the month or ramadhan. I did not take them outside at all. I'm afraid people are getting more religious at these kind of time
5. Punishment did not work at my dog. She's a stubborn. The more I punish the more she's being aggresive. I did punish like CM did in the past. Now I did not punish as much to make her calmer. If she attack, I just let her sleep outside of my room for a day or a couple of days.
7. I live with my mom and dad but they do not home all of the time. I take care of them most of the times
I've been seeking professional (a friend of mine). He sometimes trained police dogs but he's very busy and live quite far from my home. I'm currently just separating them that way (one in cage and one is not) until I see my dog calmer or until my friend have a time to visit them
punishing is not the solution, what you need to do is praise her good behaviour with positive reinforcement. Punishing just makes the dog more anxious, and I bet that by punishing you hurt him.

Aquarius said:
Little Wolf said:
Sleepy said:

punishing is not the solution, what you need to do is praise her good behaviour with positive reinforcement. Punishing just makes the dog more anxious, and I bet that by punishing you hurt him.

I do both. I praise her when she is calm and good.

Malin_Baze said:
If you ask me, I would suggest you to look into Cesar Milan's videos/books on how it is done.

I didn't want to advocate cruelty towards animals when I suggested this resource. I love animals. I would want to help them however I can. It is just that some ideas mentioned in them are informative, and some methods are useful. Especially things about a dog's basic needs, their body language and common behavioral problems discussed there.

6zeliris6lalibratum6 already wrote,

6zeliris6lalibratum6 said:
*** I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone and anyone that we do not condone striking or any form of physical punishment upon animals in ANY way in Spiritual Satanism. Animals are sacred and must be respected at all times, even during punishments. This can teach valuable self control to the more short fused if it's ever an issue. ***

I too think these methods can be used (along with adhering to the Satanic conduct) successfully, i.e. without being cruel or inflicting suffering upon dogs. One should use the best of their judgement and common sense when it comes to them.

MalinBaze said:
Malin_Baze said:
If you ask me, I would suggest you to look into Cesar Milan's videos/books on how it is done.

I didn't want to advocate cruelty towards animals when I suggested this resource. I love animals. I would want to help them however I can. It is just that some ideas mentioned in them are informative, and some methods are useful. Especially things about a dog's basic needs, their body language and common behavioral problems discussed there.

6zeliris6lalibratum6 already wrote,

6zeliris6lalibratum6 said:
*** I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone and anyone that we do not condone striking or any form of physical punishment upon animals in ANY way in Spiritual Satanism. Animals are sacred and must be respected at all times, even during punishments. This can teach valuable self control to the more short fused if it's ever an issue. ***

I too think these methods can be used (along with adhering to the Satanic conduct) successfully, i.e. without being cruel or inflicting suffering upon dogs. One should use the best of their judgement and common sense when it comes to them.
So you mean using common sense to understand to hit them or not? Excuse me, are you stupid?

One should use the best of their judgement and common sense when it comes to their dog's training and well-being. By "them" I meant the dogs.

Some techniques described in by that man are cruel, I agree, and thus should not be used. But we can definitely take help of information and other humane methods or tips mentioned in those resouces. What I wanted to say is we should use common sense to filter dumb stuff out, and use what is correct.

I cited them because they were readily available. OP had a problem with introducing the dogs, and they had useful pointers and drill about that (which involved building positive associations, changing the environment, playtimes etc.). I didn't think we as satanists would ever use force on an animal, even if a manual told to do so. I'm no authority in dog training field. I was just trying to help.

MalinBaze said:
One should use the best of their judgement and common sense when it comes to their dog's training and well-being. By "them" I meant the dogs.

Some techniques described in by that man are cruel, I agree, and thus should not be used. But we can definitely take help of information and other humane methods or tips mentioned in those resouces. What I wanted to say is we should use common sense to filter dumb stuff out, and use what is correct.

I cited them because they were readily available. OP had a problem with introducing the dogs, and they had useful pointers and drill about that (which involved building positive associations, changing the environment, playtimes etc.). I didn't think we as satanists would ever use force on an animal, even if a manual told to do so. I'm no authority in dog training field. I was just trying to help.
Okay, then be more precise next time, you literally replied to a part where she/he says it uses force on a dog and you said to use common sense with these methods.

Aquarius said:
you literally replied to a part where she/he says it uses force on a dog and you said to use common sense with these methods.

I re-read my post and now I realise my mistake. You're right, I'll be careful from next time onwards.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back